Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my E with such high hopes that it would be the best car ever. I like it. But I want to LOVE it! The way I loved my last car, only MORE! But there are a few things my last vehicle had that the E does not, and I can't help but compare... I really miss them! Any ideas are much appreciated.

1. Speed Controlled Volume on the stereo. This probably sounds silly, but it is one of those things that you don't even think about unless you had it and now you don't... then you really miss it! I didn't see any mods posted for this, does anyone know of any? (volume of radio increases/decreases as speed of vehicle increases/decreases to account for road noise, and avoids blowing out your eardrums when you exit the fwy and realize your stereo was blasting!)

2. Side doors won't stay open when parked on a hill. Living on a hill, this absolutely drives me batty! Dog rides in back, so groceries/gear/etc... goes in side doors. Unloading/loading multiple loads (or even one big load that needs both arms) is such a pain with a door that closes on the back of your leg the second you lean into the car! Anyone else have this problem? Is this just because I bought my car used and there is a worn out part? Something I can replace/add to fix this? Oh I can't stand it! Please help!

3. Power delay after key is removed. So my chevy astro had the ability to use anything electrical for about 30 seconds after the key was removed as long as you didn't open a door. This is especially clutch with the windows. Dog needs air when in the parked car. Nice to be able to give it to him without needing to put the key in the ignition again... I know, sounds trifle, like "Hey knucklehead! Just remember to put the windows down before you turn the car off!" But like I said before, once you've had it...

Thanks so much! Fixing these 3 things would make big improvements in my relationship with my Honda element!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to do anything about two of your items, but for the doors you can try to replace the door checkers. They are probably pretty worn out on your '04.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26582&highlight=door+stay+open

For the volume, you might find an aftermarket stereo with GPS capability that might be able to have speed-sensitive volume, but I haven't heard of any...just spitballing. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I looked around on google for a bit for a deck that would do the speed thing for you, and about as far as I got was that you should be looking for a deck with SDVC (speed dependent volume control). Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for such speedy replies, and thanks for the welcome! Gonna get to work on the doors right away, can't wait to have that fixed! Thanks for the lead on the SDVC also, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
3. Power delay after key is removed. So my chevy astro had the ability to use anything electrical for about 30 seconds after the key was removed as long as you didn't open a door. This is especially clutch with the windows. Dog needs air when in the parked car. Nice to be able to give it to him without needing to put the key in the ignition again... I know, sounds trifle, like "Hey knucklehead! Just remember to put the windows down before you turn the car off!" But like I said before, once you've had it...
If you, or someone you know are handy with wiring relays I'm sure you could make this work for that application.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto
^^If that link doesn't take you to the Radio On Until Door Opened (Retained Accessory Power) section just scroll down to it.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
If you want to stick with an original Honda part for the Radio, Then look For a Radio out of a Goldwing .. They have Volume sensing technology that is not speed based. Rather it senses the ambient noise, and adjusts the volume proportionally. It also has several other features that can be used with the controls from the steering wheel, or the Goldwing control center pad.

It is one of the features, That I just love on my GoldWing !
I have considered Modding the Bike and the E, So I could Just move the radio back and forth between them. Just looks like too much work to both systems, for me to attempt.

Other than that Clarion makes a unit that does the same type of thing with the volume. I think they make the Goldwing Radio for Honda.

Dom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts