Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My catalytic converter was stolen last week and I had a muffler shop install a new aftermarket catalytic converter and rear O2 sensor. Someone picked my E up for me and drove to meet me about 30 miles. When I tried to start it up it didn't have enough juice and had to be jumped. It drove a few miles at 30 miles an hour before it started to slowly lose power and sputtered to a stop. I had another battery in the back from a boat so I hooked it up, started it, and drove home without a problem other than no speedometer or odometer functioning. I had already bought a new alternator because battery was struggling to start the week before and was only getting 12.2 volts while driving. I installed the alternator and the battery was swapped out. While changing the alternator I looked at the cat and discovered there was no longer a rear O2 sensorand the wires were left exposed and touching. I wire nutted them off and finished the alternator. It runs fine now but the speedometer and odometer still don’t work. What can I try before changing out the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The speedometer/odometer in the E is totally electric if I'm not mistaken, unlike the mechanical speedometer cables of old. I don't know the circuit details to know how these repairs could have affected it's function but I imagine others here might have some advice. I also have to wonder about using an aftermarket CC and the lack of the second O2 sensor and what impact all of this may have on the car's function. This stuff is pretty integral to the "computer brains" that run our cars these days and I would have been pretty inclined to go with an OEM replacement here.

How does one steal someone's CC? I've never heard of such a thing - I guess in thinking about it aren't they filled with some sort of silver compound? I guess that would answer the why but how does something like this even happen? Yikes.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
How does one steal someone's CC? I've never heard of such a thing - I guess in thinking about it aren't they filled with some sort of silver compound? I guess that would answer the why but how does something like this even happen? Yikes.
The CC has Platinum in it. They have been stealing them from 4 X 4 vehicles
for a few years now. They like the 4 X 4s because they can get under them
really easy. They crawl under with a hacksaw or a cordless sawsall and just
cut the exhaust pipe just before and just after the CC. They then take them
to some recycler who pays cash for them. Depending on the recycler, they can
get about $50 - 100 for EACH CC!!!

Surprised you haven't heard of this. Up here in the Bay Area, its pretty common.
Sad, but true.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hope you dont have to change the gage cluster,I'm having problems with mine and honda told me the cost would be $763.95 plus labor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to go with OEM parts but the additional $700+ cost for a Hond CC was not in my wallet. With that said, my understanding of how a CC and rear O2 sensor work would indicate that the engine should run the same without either being installed on the vehicle. The front o2 sensor is extemely important because it's what the engine uses to adjust how much fuel enters the engine, but all the rear o2 sensor does is show whether the CC is doing its job and making the air cleaner. So why the rear sensor is good to have and necessary to pass inspection it shouldnt affect anything else unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know what fuse the o2 sensor wires correspond with?

The speedo cble comment got me thinking because about 2 months ago I started having an intermittent problem with the shifter not being able to be moved out of park. I was having to press in the bypass switch, but the problem has since gone away. Could this be related?

About 5 months ago I cranked my tacoma up and found that my CC was jacked with. Fortunately someone interrupted the crack heads and they only cut through about half of the exhaust pipe. By the way, this happened between 8 and 10 am in an elementary school parking lot for teachers.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
By the way, this happened between 8 and 10 am in an elementary school parking lot for teachers.
Never heard of this happening up this way...I guess another reason I'm glad to live in a small town. How would someone not hear someone with a sawzall hacking through your exhaust pipe? It certainly would capture my attention. Wow, what things people will do for $50...sheesh.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hope you dont have to change the gage cluster,I'm having problems with mine and honda told me the cost would be $763.95 plus labor
There is a TSB for replacing gauge clusters on 07 Es, maybe your E falls in the VIN range? If so, it would be warranty work, hopefully covered.

To the OP- what is your location? If there are CC thieves running around crawling under Es, I want to know where. :shock: Could the muffler shop have forgotten to put a new O2 sensor in, but charged you anyway? If so, I'd make them put in a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you didn't need a rear O2 sensor, the E wouldn't have come with one. know what I mean?
All vehicles manufactured after 1995 have been required to have a rear o2 sensor to measure emissions compliance. All the rear O2 sensor does is tell you if the catalatic converter is cleaning pollutants from the exhaust. If its not cleaning the exhaust at apropriate levels it will send an error code, but it wont effect engine functionality.

I live in Dallas. GO MAVS!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The gage cluster tsb expired in Dec. 2010,I have been in contact with Honda trying to get them to at least help with the cost,they dont consider this a recall,as of yesterday the needle fell off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My catalytic converter was stolen last week and I had a muffler shop install a new aftermarket catalytic converter and rear O2 sensor. Someone picked my E up for me and drove to meet me about 30 miles. When I tried to start it up it didn't have enough juice and had to be jumped. It drove a few miles at 30 miles an hour before it started to slowly lose power and sputtered to a stop. I had another battery in the back from a boat so I hooked it up, started it, and drove home without a problem other than no speedometer or odometer functioning. I had already bought a new alternator because battery was struggling to start the week before and was only getting 12.2 volts while driving. I installed the alternator and the battery was swapped out. While changing the alternator I looked at the cat and discovered there was no longer a rear O2 sensorand the wires were left exposed and touching. I wire nutted them off and finished the alternator. It runs fine now but the speedometer and odometer still don’t work. What can I try before changing out the gauge cluster?
Did you ever find out what was wrong? The same exact thing happened to me. Got my cat stolen but got it replaced with an aftermarket cat but replaced with both oem o2 sensors. After that speedometer stopped working and car wouldn't turn on.Just bought a new battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts