Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished detailing my SOP. I used a Meguiars clay bar kit and wax/polish on the painted panels. After that I finished the plastic panels with Aerospace 303. Thanks to everyone on this site for the tips. Even though the car is 5 years old and had been parked outside near the ocean by the previous owner, the paint feels completely smooth and looks bright.

I have only had my E for a couple weeks, but I already love this thing. I am just not sure whether or not to keep the spoiler and extra plastic trim at the base of the doors. At first, I was sure that I was going to take them off and go for more of an off road look with gunmetal wheels, but the trim is starting to grow on me. Now I am leaning toward keeping the pieces.

It seems like the trim on the door would leave a mark/residue, and the spoiler is attached with through bolts which I would have to plug. What do all of you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say keep it. They are the color of your side steps and your front grille.
Yah. I like how they tie into the side steps, grill, and mid section of the rear bumper. Plus I haven't seen anybody around town with those trim features so it adds a unique look.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are you kidding me? Those are two of my best mods. I painted mine flat black to match the other flat black panels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you selling it?

hi fellow SOP, okey if you insist on taking it out. I would say Im interested with the spoiler. How much are you selling it for and ship to Canada? thnx.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just finished detailing my SOP. I used a Meguiars clay bar kit and wax/polish on the painted panels. After that I finished the plastic panels with Aerospace 303. Thanks to everyone on this site for the tips. Even though the car is 5 years old and had been parked outside near the ocean by the previous owner, the paint feels completely smooth and looks bright.

I have only had my E for a couple weeks, but I already love this thing. I am just not sure whether or not to keep the spoiler and extra plastic trim at the base of the doors. At first, I was sure that I was going to take them off and go for more of an off road look with gunmetal wheels, but the trim is starting to grow on me. Now I am leaning toward keeping the pieces.

It seems like the trim on the door would leave a mark/residue, and the spoiler is attached with through bolts which I would have to plug. What do all of you think?
FreeVeggie-welcome to EOC, i say this cause i never see you with all SoCal meets we have in the past, you missed out, anyway the Spoiler with Rocker Panels are good Combo set Ups along with the Side Steps, If you're leaning towards Off Road set ups, a bigger size tires and Painting your RIMS Flat Black would be nice IMO, by the way, Good Detail Work...hope to see you soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I really think I am going to keep the set up the way it is. Each time I look at it, the whole scheme grows on me.

I would like to come to the next So Cal meet. It's great to be part of the club.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Why is the spoiler silver? I think it should match the plastic or the paint. Definitely keep it, but maybe a new paint job on it would be good. Someone on here put a black one on a Kiwi and it looked great. Try and match the plastic color, instead of the paint color and I think it will blend in very well.

I will never understand sidesteps on a car that isn't tall at all, they are one of the least desired items for me. It makes the vehicle less off-road capable by lowering it's clearance points and I can't seem to see any functional reason to have them. I am not a big fan of the rocker panels either. The paint looks excellent, good detail job.

I think a debadging may be in order.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice job on the detail.:cool: Not a fan of the door trim though,it looks too busy and with the side steps,it kinda makes the E' look like as if it has steps going up the doors.:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is the spoiler silver? I think it should match the plastic or the paint. Definitely keep it, but maybe a new paint job on it would be good. Someone on here put a black one on a Kiwi and it looked great. Try and match the plastic color, instead of the paint color and I think it will blend in very well.

I will never understand sidesteps on a car that isn't tall at all, they are one of the least desired items for me. It makes the vehicle less off-road capable by lowering it's clearance points and I can't seem to see any functional reason to have them. I am not a big fan of the rocker panels either. The paint looks excellent, good detail job.

Your point about painting the spoiler is well taken. I've been thinking about painting it gray to match the panels, but that would quickly snowball. If I paint the spoiler, I would then want to paint the silver on the front grille, rear bumper, rocker panels, side steps, and wheels. If I go down that road, I'll have to do it this summer while I'm off from work.

I also used to feel the same way about the sidesteps. I was for sure going to take them off, but I quickly changed my mind when my 1 year old daughter used them to climb right into the car the first night I had it. She was the whole reason I sold my Tacoma pickup and bought the E so I guess I'll be keeping the sidesteps for a couple years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question:
If I decided to take the rocker panels off, how would I do it? It seems to be stuck on with some type of two-sided tape. Would the paint underneath be marred in any way?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Another question:
If I decided to take the rocker panels off, how would I do it? It seems to be stuck on with some type of two-sided tape. Would the paint underneath be marred in any way?
it's should be easy FV, you can grab one end and pull slowly, never yank it, just slow pull, the residue left over can be peel off using your finger then of course wax it to finish, i can buy those Rocker Panel incase you decided to sell it. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
If that doesn't work out then use the 'ol fishing line trick. Get a hairdryer to heat up the area where the tape is to soften it up a bit and with fishing wire (or dental floss, but fishing line is stronger) slide it between and the rocker pieces and door just like you were flossing your teeth. It'll cut the tape pretty easily. Afterwards you can usually rub off whatever tape is left with some elbow grease.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd say leave them on, they are very natural looking, and not many other Elements have them, so it will help make it stand out among other E's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If that doesn't work out then use the 'ol fishing line trick. Get a hairdryer to heat up the area where the tape is to soften it up a bit and with fishing wire (or dental floss, but fishing line is stronger) slide it between and the rocker pieces and door just like you were flossing your teeth. It'll cut the tape pretty easily. Afterwards you can usually rub off whatever tape is left with some elbow grease.
Seriously, all the people on this site are so awesome. It's cool how willing people are to offer advice. Thanks DynaMike. If I do take anything off, it will be the rocker panels first. With your tips, I should be able to do that trouble free.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Have you ever tried getting into the back seats? Makes it much easier. And I think they look cool.

To the OP, keep the setup looks good. I would keep it.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I'll help you understand what the sidesteps are good for.
I'm throwing out the Ignorance card on you to help you understand why Honda decided to have sidesteps as an option.

Apparently you think Honda is retarded when it comes to "common sense" because what's the point of having these sidesteps when I (5'7") can easily get into the driver/passenger seat. HONDA you're weetawded.

If you've ever seen kids and older folks get inside the back seats it's not as easy as the front seats, it's actually uncomfortable for myself. The back seats are much more elevated making it fairly difficult for older folks(parents, grandparents) to get there arse on the seats without putting unnecessary pressure of their old knees.

This is a fact! I've also driven numerous grandmas and grandpas for my uncle's medical practice who have difficulty getting into the passenger seat. I've seen it worse when they have to get into the back seats.

Now have 2 cookies and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an 04 SOP element and i am only 5'2 and i kinda have to tippy toe to get in the driver side... my next purchase will be side steps....after i get a new passenger door...lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice E good detail job. When you buy a used car sometimes you get stuck with someones elses take on what they like on a car. Living in Ohio with snow and road salt, I don't want anything along the doors or rocker panels to trap salt and cause problems with rust. The door molding are probably attached with double side tape, and will require cleaning the tape off of the door if you remove the trim. I really hate the spoiler (just my take on design)They look like a handle used to push the car off the road when it breaks down. The worst one is a spoiler on a PT Cruiser looks like a big handle. I would not remove the spoiler on your car because you would need to do body work where the holes are. I would just paint it to match the roof plastic panels and leave it at that. I know people like mods but they do usually devalue a car at trade in time. I have worked at car dealership and get to see what is taken off trade value to return the vehicle to stock state. Radios and aftermarket wheels are usually the biggest deduct. If I had a nice radio or wheels I would slap the stockers back on, to get the best trade in value, and sell the radio and wheels on the tradin post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts