Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only the second Element I've seen on the road besides mine and it was way custom.

Purple, lower, dark window tint and spoke rims with low profile rubber.

To be honest, kind of stupid looking. All in the eye of the beholder I guess. The main thing that stuck out was that the composite body panels were painted purple to match the rest of the car. I must say, with those painted, the Element looks less unique and more like other small SUVs. I wouldn't have thought it, but having those different is definitely a big part of the Element's character.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. People will trick out and lower anything though.

Could've just looked lower because it was rolling on skinny rubber.

Not sure the brand of rims - not close enough. They were chrome spoked, deep dish. More fitting for a 1975 Caddy rag top.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In the immortal words of my hero, "Bill the Cat"...ACK!!! PFFFFFT!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote:0d4bb26261="tommy.roks"]Lower??? its a suv...why lower it.[/quote:0d4bb26261]

Well, I'd lower it to make it handle better and to minimize rollovers. The Element doesn't need to be high for me, I'm not going to take it off road...

·
Registered
338 Posts
If anything, I'd make the Element higher. It gives it a nice look.

Looks like a an old Scout II or a Jeep Willys Panel side. Gives it personality in an age when 99% of cars look alike.

I was wondering what 17" rims might do on the Element. Any ideas or what throw everything off?

On the the Concept for the E, (model X or something) it sure looks like it had taller tires. I'm guessing they're 17's, the tires on that silver/blue concept seem to fill up the wheel wells more and make it look GOOD.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you go to larger rims, you should go to lower profile tires to keep the overall wheel diameter the same. If you don't, your speedometer and odometer will not register the correct mph and mileage.

For those who want to know how to figure out your overall wheel diameter when changing rim/tire sizes see below... for the rest of you - RUN!

The stock Element tires are 215/70-16. What this means is that the tread width is 215mm, the sidewall height is 70% of the width, and it is designed for a 16 inch diameter rim.

Since we Americans like to deal in English measurements, we will convert the millimeters to inches (25.4mm per inch): so divide 215 by 25.4 which should be make the tread 8.46 inches wide. The height is 70% of this which is 8.46 x .7 = 5.92 inches.

Since we have tire on "both" sides of the rim, double the result and add the rim diameter to get the overall diameter like so: (5.92 x 2) + 16. So the Element has an overall wheel diameter of 27.84 inches.

Don't be scared off by the math, once you run through it a few times you'll see how easy it is. If you change to 17 or 18 inch rims you just subtract this from the overall wheel diameter and plug in tire sizes to get the sidewall height that you need.

17 inch rims need a tire with a sidewall height of 5.42 inches, while 18 inch rims would drop the height to 4.92 inches. You don't have to be dead on, just get fairly close to these numbers and you will be all right.

Of course you will probably be using a wider tire/rim as well, but that doesn't affect the speedometer/odometer accuracy. Check out tirerack.com to get familiar with available tire sizes if you have never done this before and are considering modding out your ride...

Ok, lesson over...

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote:bf983372c3="Simon"]If anything, I'd make the Element higher. It gives it a nice look. [/quote:bf983372c3]

That may certainly be. However, I'd rather keep my family healthy, given the choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car and driver road test showed that the E is not as top heavy as one might think. They were able to keep it under control in tight turns over and over again with no fear of roll over. Now as for the larger tires. I have seen an Element with 17" rims and larger tires with little effect to the speedometer. I have lifted and put larger tires on trucks in the past and had to deal with resetting the speedometer to the correct speed but the element tire upgrades I have seen have only shoved it off by a few mph, not enough to worry about, and without lifting or rubbing rubber you should not have to much to worry about. If you don't buy it, just talk to your mechanic or a local tire shop you can trust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah the joy of hearing about tricked out E's. Glad to hear people are being creative with suck a great catruck. High, Low, painted to match, or not, this is a customizers dream.

-jds

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
We saw our first ScionB here in Tucson the other day. We drove up next to it in the parking lot and talked to the owner. He had bought it in CA, and seemed to like it. It's quite a big smaller than the E (Note to self: Get cheap digital camera to keep in the car!). I would say about 6-8" less tall and maybe a foot shorter overall.

Fit and finish looked good, with that carpet stuff on the floor. Just seems like a tall compact car and who would want one of those anymore now that Elements are available?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Price....the scion Xb is around $14,000, the smaller, curvier one is $12500.

I considered them, then when to the element b/c i wanted 4wd and side airbags; plus one reason I switched from a 90 celica GTS was to have a bigger car for more visibility on the bay area freeways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw my first sicon a couple months ago when I was in Lawrence, KS. It was some buisness that had it, but it also had aftermarket rims on it. The only problem with it that I can see, is it is built on the echo chasis with an Echo engine. Not to dog on Toyota, but my sister has an Echo and the E will smoke it in a race, lets face it, the whole 1.4L thing just isn't enough.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another thing to remember if you change the diameter of your overall tire/rim combination is that the tires are the 'final' gear in the transmission. If you make this gear larger, then more turns to go the same distance, smaller, fewer turns for the same distance resulting in higher or lower rpm for the same mph (regardless what your now inaccurate speedo reads).

As a general rule of thumb sticking to a similar diameter is a good idea but as it was pointed out, you can do whatever the !#[email protected] you want to and chances are it will work!

Here was some research I did a while back on tires:

225-65-16
235-65-16 (or 60)

215-65-17
225-60-17
235-60-17 (or 55)

215-60-18
225-55-18
235-55-18 (or 50)

Yokohama Avid V4 235/60-VR16
Dunlop Radial Rover AT's, 235/70/16
235x70x16 Goodyear FORTERA HL EDITION TIRES

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yokohama Avid V4 235/60-VR16

I was looking at going with this size myself on the 16" Honda Alloy wheels. there is a 9MM sidewall height difference going to the 235/60R16, but would be nice & wide vs. the skinny 215/70R16. I am curious though with the Honda wheels being 6.5" how much would the 235/60 buldge out the side of the wheels, if at all? Any tire/wheel experts out there?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts