Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E has been through a lot lately, I’ve replaced the cat, spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel injectors, did a valve adjustment, and a induction service.

Now it’s sputtering and stalling almost every time I accelerate from a stop light or sometimes even a slow turn. I’m hearing some noise (a popping like bad airflow) from the air box but can’t find any issue with it. I do have a very small exhaust leak near the cat (which I’m fixing in a few days) but doubt that’s the culprit.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now my gas pedal is getting stuck when I start from a stop and it’s backfiring from the intake. I thought about the Idle air control valve, just wanted another opinion.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You have no engine codes showing after all of that? I'm curious if it's one cylinder having trouble or any and all of them at the same time.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My first thought was that you either have an extremely rich mixture or one of your intake valves is staying open. Since you just had the valves adjusted, either something went wrong with that or the mix is rich. There's nothing in your stats to suggest which model year you have. The sensors are different - pre-07 or after. Past that - did you replace the oxygen sensors with something aftermarket when you changed the cat? I don't understand how you could have no engine codes to point a way to go next.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s an 04 Element. I put in new aftermarket Denso o2 sensors. The short term fuel trim is very rich, but I can’t figure out what’s causing it. No codes are showing besides the o2 slow circuit code which points to the wiring. I’m taking my intake manifold off and cleaning it next.
My cylinders are all firing correctly too, it’s just when I accelerate from 600-700rpms it takes about 2-3 seconds before the car responds and then it sputters before it finally just launches and jumps to about 3000rpms. I usually have to put the pedal to the floor for it to engage as well.
I’ve checked my throttle cable and it’s fine.

I have no idea what the problem is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It might be worth looking for vacuum leaks by spraying around certain areas with carb cleaner while the engine's running. Or, double check the connections to the MAF and Throttle Position Sensor. Although, I think those would trigger a service light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My E has been through a lot lately, I’ve replaced the cat, spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel injectors, did a valve adjustment, and a induction service.

Now it’s sputtering and stalling almost every time I accelerate from a stop light or sometimes even a slow turn. I’m hearing some noise (a popping like bad airflow) from the air box but can’t find any issue with it. I do have a very small exhaust leak near the cat (which I’m fixing in a few days) but doubt that’s the culprit.

Any ideas?
Have you replaced the Accelerator Pedal Sensor? My E did the same thing and my idle was very rough and would sometimes stall out. Have you also cleaned the mass airflow sensor?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
First, I'd first hook a scanner on the OBD port and see if the new sensor is working right. I don't remember anyone here mentioning having a trouble with aftermarket Denso sensors - just Bosch. Of course, if you don't have a scanner capable of showing live data, that's out. You've done so much work all at once that it's hard to point at one thing to look at.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Any ideas?
First, I'd first hook a scanner on the OBD port and see if the new sensor is working right. I don't remember anyone here mentioning having a trouble with aftermarket Denso sensors - just Bosch. Of course, if you don't have a scanner capable of showing live data, that's out. You've done so much work all at once that it's hard to point at one thing to look at.
Here is what worked for me. Valve on packer arm adjustment. Is usually way too tight. This is in the valve system. Fixed it a repair shop. Guy swore he could fix any problem. It has been running like a champ since he fixed it three months ago. Have driven may miles no stalls, no hard starts. He said it was in the manual under engine performance, not in the usual place you would expect to find it. Hope this helps, I struggled with this problem for 2 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally have found my problem, after a compression test I found cylinder 2 has a bent valve, which has damaged my head. Time for a new engine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts