Honda Element Owners Club banner

squeaking sound in front

32K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Kiev 
#1 ·
i dont know if there is allready a topic about this issue, bud here is mine:

every morning when it's cold outside there is a squeking sound in the front, and it disapears in a few minutes. first i tought it was a ruber ring of one of the shocks in the front, bud it's not. now i think it's the front window.
is there anyone else with the same problem ??

#2 ·
If its a high piched squeak check your drive belt. Open the hood before starting and see if thats where the sound is coming from. Usually the molding on the sides of the windshield will cause a rattle or buzzing all the time when the clips break.

#5 ·
I have the same issue, MarcoFranssen. We have rather severe cold winters where I live, and my squeaking began about four years ago, becoming more persistent with each year. I've read somewhere here that it's from the front upper strut bearings. The only cure is replacement, and they're rather expensive -- I understand they're sealed, and apparently there's no way to re-lubricate them.

Although it's annoying, I'm not inclined to replace the front struts merely to reduce the noise, since mine function just fine otherwise. Still, if anyone has any brilliant, inexpensive remedies, I'd be pleased to hear about them.

For years, I'd have sworn the noise came from the windshield base, too, but the more persistent mine has become, I can make the connection of the noise being more directly connected to actual (no matter how small) suspension movement.

#17 ·
Wha-huh?! You mean it's NOT just the wiring I installed from engine compartment into cabin??? I could NOT figure out how a couple wires made a noise like some big greasy rubber that is squeezing together.

mine did this and it was a real b%$^h to figure out. I eventually found that it was the top of my shock tower boot. The repair was to turn the bolt sticking up into the engine compartment a quarter turn and add some silicone so the whole thing could move smoothly again.
Got a diagram/pic? I seem to have misplaced my service manual... =\

Also, what kind of silicone? From auto parts store I assume?

Thanks

#8 ·
mine did this and it was a real b%$^h to figure out. I eventually found that it was the top of my shock tower boot. The repair was to turn the bolt sticking up into the engine compartment a quarter turn and add some silicone so the whole thing could move smoothly again.

#9 ·
Ding, Ding, Ding!

We have a winner, Don Frio! Tried your remedy last night and behold: total silence for the first time in over four years! I'd never looked closely to see that there was a rubber bushing sort of thing below the strut bolt, but I knew the noise was produced in direct relation to minor suspension movement. Who'd have guessed the solution was so blessedly simple (and cheap)!?

Thanks a million, dude! 8)

#12 ·
success! This place is great.

#13 ·
Another squeak...

I have another issue, but similar problem. I have a squeak noise coming from the fan or heater. My wife determined it was just on the heat setting not cool. There is a high pitched whistle or squeal with the fan on high heat, and it does not matter if it is the feet, defrost, or in your face setting. Any thoughts?

I joined today, but I have seen great posts before. I found out how to fix my window washer pump through the EOC. Great site. I love my Black 03 Element, and my wife has a Red 05 Element.

#14 ·
I also have this issue, and the rubber is torn around the bolt as well.
the oil worked for a few weeks but its gotten colder lately and it came back. I think I am going to have to replace the strut mounts / bearings.

#15 ·
as I said the oil was only a short term fix for this, and I ended up replacing both strut mounts even though only the right was causing problems. the struts are fairly easy to remove on the Element then you need to use a spring compressor and remove the middle bolt and the mounting plate.
I fixed the squeak but created 2 more problems, both on the right side the side original squeak was on.
1. it seems that the strut bearing/mount plate are binding up and when the assembly turns it makes a clunking sound (IE when i turn the wheel) I am going to remove and grease the bearing and try again...maybe use one of the old bearings if they are okay.
2. the tie rod end would not re-tighten all the way down due to rust so now its a couple threads loose and rattles. its completely stuck now wont loosten or tighten, will likely have to cut it off.
should have a replacement tomorrow.

#16 ·
OK, now everything is fixed.
I think that the cheap replacment strut mounts and bearings (plastic rings)
were the cause of the creak/clunk when turning, they fit to tight together and bound up when turning. I used the new plate witht he old bearing and plenty of grease and it was fine.

The new tie rod end is a MOOG and it comes with a grease fitting....the way they should have been from the factory.

#20 ·
I have this issue too. I've become accustomed to turning my stereo up loud and pretending the problem didn't exist. I just went out and tried this, however, I couldn't get those nuts on top to move for the life of me. I sprayed some wd40 on them anyhow and will test it again this evening. If that doesn't help, I might try some engine degreaser to loosen up the bolts so that I can turn them. Will keep you all posted.

#22 ·
I'm afraid I'm the opposite lol. My driver side is where my problem is, and the damn bolt seems to almost be rusted =/ I almost stripped it trying to get inbetween the fuse box

#23 ·
Success!!!

Thanks to the elementownersclub.com contributors, I solved my bed-squeaking sound coming from the E.

The shock tower on the passenger side needed lube, and the PB spray silenced the annoying squeak.

I locked onto the bolt on top of the tower and noticed right away that this was the location of the sound when I moved it around a bit.

Spray the top of the tower bolt on all sides, move the bolt around a little, and give it a day or two, and the sound is gone1

#24 ·
Does anyone know of a good rust degrader? The bolts under my hood seem to be on there pretty darn tight. I'm afriad if I get in there with an impact wrentch orsomething I'm going to strip them right off :(

#26 ·
wow actually you pretty much read my thoughts, I was just thinking PB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.