Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning, a co-worker of mine asked if I had ever noticed my clutch pedal squeaking. This seemed like an odd thing to ask, but I have, in fact, noticed the pedal on my '03 EX 5-spd squeaked on occasion. Usually on rainy, or humid days, but it's sporadic.

The reason he asked is becuase he drives a '03 Civic Si. He had his car in the shop on monday for some routine maintenance when one of the mechanics noticed his clutch squeaking. The mechanic told him that Honda issued a TSB re: the clutch master cylinder. His mechanic also said a similar TSB had been issued for the Element.

Has anyone seen this anywhere? Do the civic and element share the same master cylinder assembly?

Any info would be appreciated, 'cos I'm coming up on the end of my warranty (I'm at ~34,000 mi now) and I'd like to have this taken care of while I still can.

t.i.a.

[edit: D'oh! Forum search revealed similar thread from last month. Sorry for the redundancy...]

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have not heard of anything.

This may sound obvious, but I know that the rubber cover on the pedal will squeak on your show if it's wet out.
That's part of the reason I installed metal pedal covers.
Everytime I would shift when it was raining....squeak....irritating.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
No Squeak from MY clutch pedal....
D'oh! I forgot, I have an automatic......

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the 02 civic si was NOTORIUS for that

turns out it was bushing up in the mechanism bring it to honda they will swap them

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Squeaky clutch pedal

There is a TSB for this 02-002 dated Mar 16, 04. It says it is a spring rubbing on the master cylinder and calls for replacing the master cylinder and applying grease.

·
EOC Sponsor
691 Posts
I am still trying to get into the dealership to have ours looked at. It is now looking like it will be within this year sometime. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Annoying squeaking cluch pedal as well, took Element to dealer – they sprayed some lube, which solved the problem for a couple of weeks. But, the squeak is back and is annoying as ever, what to go to different dealer next time, but might install metal pedals and hope it solves the problem. I hate going to the dealer - gone to dealer 2 times after the clutch spray solution, and just left fustrated with dealer rep (Gillman Honda of Houston, service reps suck). I hope you have better luck.

·
EOC Sponsor
691 Posts
syrnett said:
just got back from the dealership. they replaced my clutch cylinder. fixed the problem.
Hubby took the E into the dealership while I was gone and they also replaced the clutch master cylinder. They also replaced the bushings in the drivers seat to make it not rock anymore, they tried to make the squeek in the a-pilar go away but its worse now than it was before... The E goes back in on Friday to have that fixed again...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Apologies for reviving an old thread. I just swapped my AT with my wife for her 2005 MT, and noticed the clutch squeaks sometimes, not all the time.

I'm guessing I should have it checked out. She never tells me when something is wrong, and yet she doesn't take care of the problems herself.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The clutch pedal on my 01 Civic squeaked for over a year (obviously, it wasn't that bad). When I traded it in a few days ago, the dealer didn't seem to be concerned about it. I assumed it was a squeak in the pedal itself, or the associated linkage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Squeaky Clutch / Engine compartment?

The clutch in my 2004 EX MT 4WD (39k miles) started squeaking a couple weeks ago. At first I thought it was coming from inside the car but then I realized it was coming from inside the engine compartment. I had my wife push the clutch pedal while I looked in the engine compartment and located where the noise seems to be coming from. It appears that the linkage is in the front of the engine, about half way up, behind the radiator. There appears to be a rubber boot covering it. Has anyone had this problem and any success at fixing it? I'll take it to the dealer if necesssary but you'd think fixing a squeak wouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
There is a service bulletin on this problem, the clutch master cylinder and linkage has to be replaced, mine is on its 2nd about to go in again for it on tuesday, its a long known problem and honda wont fix it. You have low miles so if you argue enough, you should beable to get it fixed under the tsb, if nit it will be a little pricey, but the squeak gets bad, real bad after a while, so get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts