Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm hearing this metalic sounding squeal from the belt side of my engine on my E. Something sounding like a rolling bearing.

I just had the belt tensioner, together w/the serpentine belt replaced, and I thought I solved the problem, but I still hear it, mainly now when I start up the engine on a cold morning. It will squeal until the engine warms up, then quiets to nothing, then on occasion, and not as loud, during the day when driving. After work, in the afternoon, when it's warmer, after sitting for a few hours, when I start it, I don't seem to have the squeal problem. It still sounds like the belt tensioner bearing, but sounds can be deceiving.

Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try some belt dressing. Spray it on the inside of the belt. That may help. If its the belt! If you still have an issue check the pulley.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try some belt dressing. That may help. If its the belt! If you still have an issue check the pulley.
I should clarify, the squeal sounds metallic, like that of a rolling bearing type of noise, and not that of a belt.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Stethoscope time. :-(

Probably the water pump seal. Mine's done the same thing once or twice but has (knock on wood) gone away quickly. That it comes and goes with ambient temp and engine temp is your bigger clue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i have the same noise. usually when it rains or gets cold suddenly.havent gotten to changing the belt but im sure thats it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a place install a bad belt tensioner in the past. It was new out of the box.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a mild morning today, and my E started up w/o any noise. It was as quiet as a purring kitten, which is what I like to hear. ;)

I wonder what the colder temperature does to allow it to make the noise? It's a metalic type of noise, and not one made by rubber.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry for being a little late in what the the problem turned out to be.

It finally turned out to be the alternator. I guess the bearing was going. That fixed it. ;-)

I now have a 2005 E I just bought, w/the same issue, though quieter, and very random. I'll keep an eye on it. Next oil change, I'll replace both the Serpentine Belt and Belt Tensioner.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up, GoHack.

I agree, thanks for the follow up, Gohack, so often I read a thread with a problem, and they never follow up when it's fixed, or they say that it's fixed without posting enough information about the solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts