Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to notice that in the mornings my brake pedal would go to the floor coming out the driveway. Got better when started to drive for a sec. Replaced Pads thinking that was the problem. It is a little better than before but break peddle still pushes in more than it seems it should. Is this just how the element is or do I need to bleed the breaks or something?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Probably your master cylinder going bad. Had it happen on a civic. There's actually a TSB about this issue. Not sure if your '03 falls into that category though.

And it's BRAKES. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, I thought the issue was with the '08 E's. My brakes are squishy, too, but never that bad!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
How old is the fluid?

If it is more than 3 years old you're overdue for fluid replacement.

Give it a good flushing before replacing anything. :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't use the 'pump the pedal' method of bleeding, it will trash your master cylinder seal (pushing it beyond its normal range where the cylinder gets rusty due to water in the fluid).

Use either vacuum or low pressure bleeding.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
the 'pump the pedal' method of bleeding, it will trash your master cylinder seal (pushing it beyond its normal range where the cylinder gets rusty due to water in the fluid).
.....unless you put a block of wood under the brake pedal to prevent excessive travel. :wink:

A vac/pressure type bleed tool is really handy if ya got one, if not, go easy and take your time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright so I attempted to bleed the brakes this evening. Driver side front and Passenger rear wont bleed. Other two bleed fine. Did the right order and then tried different order. Tried both vacuum and gravity bleeding. Then as a last resort tried pump break method. Nothing on either. Pulled both lines off where the rubber meets the hard line. The hard lines would not bleed. Blew air through the cylinder and the rubber hoses to make sure they were good. We put the car in neutral and you could spin two wheels that were not working with the brakes applied. The good two you could not. Broke right now and don't have much time till the weekend. Any help would be thanked but looking for the right answer. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
alright so I attempted to bleed the brakes this evening. Driver side front and Passenger rear wont bleed. Other two bleed fine.
LF and RR are on the same circut I believe. Something is prolly pluged in the line coming off the master cylinder (maybe at the ABS "box"), or the mc is bad and not pushing fluid thru that line/circut.

Keep trying. If you've got ABS try pulling lines at the ABS modulator (on right front inner fender) and see if you get fluid there. It is free & easy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may have rotten and internally swollen rubber lines from the body to the brake caliper. Replace the rubber hoses (try braided stainless for amazing pedal feel).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts