Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After hunting this year, my hunting buddy decided, we are getting too old to drag deer.

So he went looking for a side by side Quad.

He asked for help deciding on the proper one. I found a maker in China, that Uses Honda engines and a new transmission. The transmission is the point of interest here.

It's a new technology, called Squirm drive. It was invented by a man in Maine . It just got patented in 2000. It has been slow to propagate into the manufacturing world. I'm not about the reasons for that. It may be the cost of retooling, or the research and development costs. In any case, there have not been many manufacturers using it.

He ordered it the 10th of last month. We are now being told it's on the dock in Longbeach Ca. waiting for customs. That is a 2 to 3 week process, from what we are told. It then has to be approved for sale in the U.S.. No telling how long that will take. It has to pass emission tests.

I became interested in the technology, back in the late 80's. At that time there were only printed abstracts of the Patent pending application.
There was a crude drawing of the device included with the application. That's all I had to go on at the time.

The Patent Here.

A search today on Google produced results that Daimler ( M B ) is also testing the device.

Google Result Here.

I'll keep you posted.

Dom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's pretty interesting Dom. I wonder how much more durable it is than a traditional CVT.
What I would really like to see is a hydrostatic drive Honda quad. I have thought about adapting a drive system from a riding lawn mower but I haven't found any willing (free) donors yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts