Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have installed a SRI already and oh boy, even the wife noticed the new found 'pep' the way E behaves now compared to pre-SRI.

anyways, having read posts about getting water into engines via intakes, i noticed that there's a bit of space/opening at the junction of front panel and 'fender' (i don't know the proper term, sorry) (if you'll continue that front edge of the hood towards the driver side)...another thing is when the hood's open, you can see at that 'fender' side sort of a 'gutter' coming from the windshield side and ends to the front, approximately at the front of the filter...
- are these two issues a concern for water getting into the intake? i usually do spray gun carwash, is there a chance that i may get water in there?
- how much water is needed to get the engine ruined anyway? if it's just a drop, then i definitely need to keep the filter dry as much as possible then eh?

do i need to provide some sort of a cover or shroud for the filter to avoid getting it wet? or i'm just getting paranoid in here and let it be?

thanks!

Attachments

·
1,049 Posts

The hydrolocking issues with intakes are from the cold air intakes, not the short ram intakes.

The cold air intakes suck the air from way down behind the bumper right behind where the driver's side fog light is. As you can tell that is much lower to the ground thus increasing the chance that you could totally submerge the intake in water. That is when it would be bad.

I don't think there is any way to hydrolock your engine with a short ram intake short of driving into water that would be over your hood. If you did that I think you would have much bigger problems then the hydrolock issue.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Since you do live in culgary, you see snow, just a word of advice, buy a K&N Outerwearz, they block any moisture from getting to the filter and if your in a bad snow storm or freezing rain storm and moisture gets on it, it wont go thru, plus it keeps the filter clean, you just have to clean the outwearz instead. I used these racing quads and on my silverado. I open the hood on my silverado after a heavy rain in December and found ice on the filter, I hurried up and dried it out and bought a outerwearz, its just a good security blanket.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips, people. now i know there's a shroud available for the filters! (what a noob) i guess i'll try that, just to be safe. you'll never know when things do happen. i just want to be sure regarding that water issues...:)

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts