Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't find anything on why my SRS indicator light came on. It lit up last night when I was driving and it is still on today. Can I reset this or do I need to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Before going to the dealer, try pressing the outside side bolster of the passenger seat a few times. This could turn the light off. If you had something on the seat under 40#'s, I think that's the weight, the light would come on so the airbag doesn't deploy.

Mine comes on every once in a while if something is on the seat or even when nothing is on the seat. I press on the outer side bolster and the light goes off.

The side bolster I am referring to is the one that is part of the backrest, not the seat part.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great advice above. If there was nothing in your seat last night or today can you tell us if the vehicle was involved in a front vendor bender?

·
12,179 Posts
You really should find out why the light came on. You E is going on 6 years old and i would not recommed just reseting the light without having it checked out. Based on what i know i am making an educated guess that it is a bad seat belt buckle tripping the light.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been in any collision in over a year. That collision I was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me, but no major damage and the air bags did not deploy.

I was driving and it came on. It wasn't on when I started the car, but came on mid drive. It came on when my girlfriend was in the passenger seat and the SRS light also lit up as soon as I turned on my E today with no one in the passenger seat and stayed lit. There was just a dvd on the seat and the light stayed lit the whole way to school. I am used to the light coming on every now and then when there is something like a backpack on the seat or when the seatbelt is tangled, but this time the light is just staying lit. I will try testing the seat after class, but if that doesn't solve it then I guess I will be going to the dealer. I will just be miffed if I have to pay for them to do a "reset".

·
12,179 Posts
I haven't been in any collision in over a year. That collision I was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me, but no major damage and the air bags did not deploy.

I was driving and it came on. It wasn't on when I started the car, but came on mid drive. It came on when my girlfriend was in the passenger seat and the SRS light also lit up as soon as I turned on my E today with no one in the passenger seat and stayed lit. There was just a dvd on the seat and the light stayed lit the whole way to school. I am used to the light coming on every now and then when there is something like a backpack on the seat or when the seatbelt is tangled, but this time the light is just staying lit. I will try testing the seat after class, but if that doesn't solve it then I guess I will be going to the dealer. I will just be miffed if I have to pay for them to do a "reset".

Does your E have side airbags? If you don't have them there won't be a sensor in the passenger seat so any weight on the passenger seat will not be a factor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
SRS Light

From the first day I drove my E off the dealer lot the airbag light turned on and off. I could never figure out why? Kinda stupid...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have seen too many times where a sensor was damaged in a small front end bump up where the air bags did not deploy. I agree with the above poster who said not to just reset it. Chances are a sensor has finally bit the dust from that bump up you mentioned. While the passenger seat may trigger it if you have a passenger air bag, it should have gone off when all weight was removed. I have a manual on this if you want to diagnose which sensor it is yourself. PM me if you are mechanically inclined to do so, if not a dealership visit would be warranted.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he's talking about the SRS light in the instrument panel, not the Airbag off light above the radio.

·
12,179 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he's talking about the SRS light in the instrument panel, not the Airbag off light above the radio.

You got it. The light above the radio was an addition to the 2007's. Previous model years had the passenger side air bag indicator lamp on the guage cluster.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
You got it. The light above the radio was an addition to the 2007's. Previous model years had the passenger side air bag indicator lamp on the guage cluster.
Lucky guess. But actually I think he's talking about the SRS system fault warning lamp that came on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I previously had this issue fixed under warranty. Now, I am about 4-5k outside the warranty, but the light is back on again.

Maybe the dog, groceries, briefcase, or whatever created the issue again. However, because the problem was previously identified under warranty and the same problem reoccurred, do I foot on the bill on the fix at the dealer or does Honda pick up the tab on this?

I can see both arguments, but before I call the dealer to resolve this I was curious where I stand.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look for trouble code or dtc

You can use a scanner or jump the obdII terminal to flash a possible trouble code. I would also recommend you do the jumper reset trick. Sorry I dont remember all the correct terms. All I know is I recently did the above to troubleshoot and confirm my problem before replacing the srs unit. All is well now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts