Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My SRS light is on. I paid $132 diagnostic fee for a shop to tell me it is throwing 54-20 and 55-40 which means "Internal Failure of SRS Unit". They wanted $1k to fix it. I bought a used SRS module for $95 and installed it myself. Reset the light and it resets fine. But when I turn it off and back on the light comes on again. I figure I have a couple of options:
1. Buy a new SRS module for $300 and install that one (still can't believe the shop wanted 3 hours of labor to install this thing).
2. Take it back to the shop and have them do the same thing and hope it fixes the issue.
3. Take it to the dealer and have them go through a similar (or the same ) process.
While my Element is a 2008 it only has 130k miles. This thing should be good for at least double those miles. I want to give it to my young daughter when she gets her license soon but I want the airbags to work if I do.
Am I missing something? Is there something else I can look at/troubleshoot? Any help would be appreciated.

PS - It has never been in an accident.

Thanks

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
586 Posts
The drivers side seatbelt buckle code is 9-3. Do you have the same codes after replacing your SRS control box that you had before replacement?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you installed a new airbag control module, I'm pretty sure it needs to be programmed to the car. You can bring it to Honda or find an independent vehicle electronics company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts