Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I backed into my sister-in-law's Element yesterday. I pushed in the driver side front bumper cover where a foglight would be if she had them.
I went online and found instructions for removing the piece. I took it off, popped the dent, put it back on, you would never know it was hit.

Today her Stability lights (two she says) came on. Plus a Malfunction light. This happened on the way to work today. She lives around the corner. They did not come on when she drove home last night.
If she shuts the car off the malfunction light comes on immediately on restart and the stability lights come back on a little bit later.

Is this a coincidence of timing or can a minor bump really cause all this headache and if so, what do I look at first?

Thank you for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i'd look for additional damage inside the engine compartment near the area where it was hit. the MIL will probably cause the "stability" light to come on. my vehicle doesn't have a "stability" light, so not sure.
and then it could just be a coincidence.
how hard was the impact? enough to bend a hydraulic line near the fog light? maybe if you could place the computer closer to the point of impact i could see it better?
it could just be a coincidence. i'm repeating myself, so i'll stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd look for additional damage inside the engine compartment near the area where it was hit. the MIL will probably cause the "stability" light to come on. my vehicle doesn't have a "stability" light, so not sure.
and then it could just be a coincidence.
how hard was the impact? enough to bend a hydraulic line near the fog light? maybe if you could place the computer closer to the point of impact i could see it better?
it could just be a coincidence. i'm repeating myself, so i'll stop.
I might have the name of the light incorrect. It is the ones that come on when the safety nannies activate.
If I took pictures, it wouldn't help unless I took the front piece off again so you could see behind it. I hit the area where a foglight would be if she had them. The dent popped right out and I couldn't see anything behind it that looked damaged.
I need to get it to a shop and get the malfunction code read. That might point us in the right direction.

·
Registered
480 Posts
As far as getting the code read, most parts stores will read it for free. As for the stability light, start the car then turn the stability control off. It's on the lower left side of the dash, right by the little coin holder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm off the hook. Had the codes read and reset and all but what turned out to be the TPMS light went out.
It all became a moot point yesterday. She needed to lower her monthlies and improve her mileage so she traded it in.
Thank you for trying to help out. I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts