Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 4WD EX with 105K miles on it. When It sits overnight it stalls the fiirst couple times I take off. It can sit all day and still have no problem but when it coold off at night it causes the problem. Once it has warmed up it does not stall or if I keep my foot on the gas while braking with my left foot, any ideas? I took it to the dealer and of course it didn't stall on them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this happen on an old Toyota I bought for $500. Turns out that the oil was left unchanged for quite some time. I changed the oil after buying the car and never had the problem again. The thing did burn about a quart per tank of gas, but for $500, I was happy it even moved. Limped along in that thing for 2 years!

Have you checked all of the elements needed for combustion? Fuel, spark and air?

·
Registered
39 Posts
How long has the gas been sitting in the tank? Shelf life of gasoline can range anywhere from several years to as little as several weeks, depending on additives and storage conditions. Sometimes it takes a few moments to raise the temperature of the combustion chamber so that the aged fuel can be combusted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
06 manual trans element. Stalling when clutch depressed, leading to no brakes or steering. On and off for a year, usually within first 20 mins of driving. RPM drops below 700 and stalls. Scary. Especially on highway. Recently threw P0172 code. After alot of research I just replaced the IAC valve, this erased the P0172 code. The first drive after replacement went well, no stalling issues. The 2nd drive, stalled as I depressed the clutch to stop at a red light, nearly ran into the back of the vehicle in front of me, luckily it restarted 3 cranks later. I am so stumped as to what it could be. Code has not turned back on, the code was recent anyways. In the past, the same code was fixed by new o2 sensors. I rely on my car for work and my beloved pup goes everywhere with me, Ive become scared to drive especially if it could lead to hurting my dog. Any suggestions? Should I take to a dealer? Please help, I am at my wits end!

·
Registered
2004 Honda element Awd automatic
22 Posts
06 manual trans element. Stalling when clutch depressed, leading to no brakes or steering. On and off for a year, usually within first 20 mins of driving. RPM drops below 700 and stalls. Scary. Especially on highway. Recently threw P0172 code. After alot of research I just replaced the IAC valve, this erased the P0172 code. The first drive after replacement went well, no stalling issues. The 2nd drive, stalled as I depressed the clutch to stop at a red light, nearly ran into the back of the vehicle in front of me, luckily it restarted 3 cranks later. I am so stumped as to what it could be. Code has not turned back on, the code was recent anyways. In the past, the same code was fixed by new o2 sensors. I rely on my car for work and my beloved pup goes everywhere with me, Ive become scared to drive especially if it could lead to hurting my dog. Any suggestions? Should I take to a dealer? Please help, I am at my wits end!
Have you checked your valve adjustments to make sure they are not tight specifically the exhaust valves? Take off the valve cover very easy and buy the feeler gauges to check. Great tutorial here on this website. It fixed my very rich condition and random stalling when first turned on in the morning.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Valve adjustment needs to be checked at least every 90,000 miles. Stalling when cold many times is valves not being in proper adjustment. Get it Checked ASAP! Eric The Car Guy on You Tube has great video on Valve adjustment he has a Element.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tight valves will cause stalling when engine is cold, but goes away as engine warms up. I've seen it on a half dozen Elements...... Valve adjustment cured it. Adjust the valves before you burn one and wind up with a head replacement needed, very expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UPDATE! Called around for a valve adjustment, it seemed the local Honda dealership was the best bet $500 plus tax plus I got a loaner. 3 week wait time. So yesterday, the day of my appointment, I started the car up (it had been sitting for 3 weeks) starts up, I shut it off and it fails to start again (almost turns ober), the 3rd crank responded with no noise at all. AAA tows it to the dealership, I explain to them thst ive changed on sensors and IACV which erased code, but still cold stalls regardless. They call me following day. It cold stalled for them and they asked permission to replace batter -$330 ala ridiculous. They call me an hour later saying I could pick it up, it was the battery. Hadn't experienced a single battery issue in the 1 year I dealt with this worsening problem but now um.being charged $330 for a battery replacement...I dont feel like they've done the work. I asked for a valve adjustment. They said a dead battery cell last a year and cause this worsening issue or should I expect my car to cold stall the morning after I get it? Any input. 185k way overdue for.vakve adjustment which would.cost $500 plus tax but instead they simply replaced my battery for $330??? Im.annoyed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where? I do valve adjustments for $150. It's not a $500 job.
I am in rochester ny. The dealership is refusing to do the valve adjustment saying they believe it was battery, so they replaced it and problem was still there. Now they think it's the Ebay Purge Valve but they want almost 300 for part alone idk what to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tell the dealership you want your money back on the battery change. They should not be "guessing" with your money. It's a valve adjustment, the valves are tight. Anyone with a Honda K-series who has a clue will tell you to keep a log of your maintenance, and that this is normal symptoms for tight exhaust valves.

Contrary to popular belief, you won't hear it. Most people think valves only get loose, which makes a tappity tap sound. But TIGHT valves are very quiet. They'd know if they'd get off their @$$ and do a compression test, but it's faster to just adjust them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I appreciate your input, I certainly won't be letting this slide, they keep me second guessing myself by having the mecahnics tell me they are 99% sure its not the valves. They laughed at me when I kindly mentioned doing thier homework on the Element. Dealer prices are way out of my price range as it is, this is all my savings. I scheduled a valve change 2 weeks prior to bringing it in at the dealership cause I didn't want a half assed job. They had me pick up the purge valve today at an auto shop cause thier is on back order. They said if its not the issue thats because the valve they told me to get is not a HONDA part. I feel like it's a **** show, ill will be going in tmrw to get the details. The job was quoted at 500.plusntaxnand bow has costed me over 600 and still no valve adjustment. Thank you again. I feel much better getting feedback. Also, not sure if there is any legal action I can take if I run out of cash and they still don't do what I ask.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,328 Posts
In addition, the battery may have been weak after sitting for a while, but once it starts, the engine is running on the alternator and a weak battery won't cause the engine to stall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts