Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my E. I replaced the mounting bolts to the power steering pump since one bent and the other broke off inside the mount. Extracted bolt, replaced with new ones, replaced serp belt....

SOO..... I reconnect the NEW battery. Everything has power.. Windows, lights, dash, radio etc. I turn the key and try to start the E and hear a single click with a small struggle noise (coming from under the hood). Its a struggle noise like someone pushing too hard on the toilet. It did that one time. I just hear the single click now.

The alternator is new. The battery is new. The cables are looking good. I am not getting that buzzing from the ignition like others have gotten. I only get that buzz when I turn the key super slow and its before the end where the vehicle starts. (the end is quiet) The E started very slow one time at the store a couple weeks ago also.

I am pointed about 95% toward the starter. I am just making sure that this is a good assumption based off of what I hear under the hood. I have read the other starter issue threads on here and am looking for a bit of comfort in buying another starter so I can slap it on since I am in college and do not have the disposable income to take it to the dealer at this time. BTW, the dealer wanted to charge me $1000 to replace the alternator! I grabbed a battery from the store, replaced it in their lot, and installed a new alternator the same day.

The other things I have been reading on this is the Starter Cut Relay and the starter relay. I x'd out both of these because I am not getting a roll (starter relay) an I am getting a click from around the starter. I figured that since it is a circular system to start, a bad cut relay would produce 0 click noise.

Mannn you guys are awesome with this thread.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Put voltmeter leads on the starter stud where the battery cable is bolted on the large stud and on the starter case. Voltmeter lead goes on the stud, not the cable. Make sure you have good contact. Have a helper turn the key to the start position and see what the voltage reading is. Ask the helper nicely to try not to run you over. If you have the proper battery voltage the starter should crank the engine. If you do not have battery voltage find out why not.

If the voltage at the starter is correct, have the helper turn the key to the start position and hold it there (if they have not, in fact, run you over) and while they hold the key whack the starter with a hammer. If that makes the starter crank the engine you are done. It needs a starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts