Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title stated when the key is turned to start there is just a whirl of the starter turning but it does not engage to start the engine. 2005 AWD owned since new 262K with original starter. My first thought is bendix failure, second is teeth missing on fly wheel.

It has never given any issue until yesterday. Drove to the store parked in driveway and went to move it - nothing but the whir. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,448 Posts
Probably NOT missing flywheel teeth - I would think this would be a rarity, probably caused by the starter being loose/angled or under body damage. So, having said that, it sounds like a starter replacement is in your future..... :confused:
I replaced mine at 132K, so yours lived a good life at 262K!! :) Contrary to popular belief (and manual instructions) you do NOT have to remove the intake to get to the starter!! I ended up removing mine four times (trying my hand at rebuilding - FAIL), but, in either case, it is not an easy task. I would also recommend OEM as I found them to be not too much more than a rebuilt, just have to do some shopping. I went with hondapartscheap (which it is not, but a rebuilt one was only about $50 less). About 30k after replacement and no issues!! There are some posts here about replacement and, I think, a couple of Youtube videos. Good luck!! :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I doubt it is the flywheel as well, but you can check if is by rotating the engine about half a turn using the bolt on the crank pulley. An engine will tend to stop in certain positions because it will tend to stop on the compression stroke of one of the cylinders.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid, which is attached to the starter. It pushes the gear out to engage the flywheel. Instead, yours spins without engaging. No, you don't want to replace just the solenoid. Replace the whole thing. Installation nightmares are overblown. My mechanic had the job done in less than an hour. Inspection of the flywheel may be able to be done at that time as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts