Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 is at 114,000 miles and judging by other Hondas I have owned, I'm sure my starter motor is going to need replacement in the next 15,000 miles.

If you have replaced your starter motor, could you please post what you replaced it with (Mitsuba, Bosch, Denso, Duralast, new vs. remanufactured, etc.) and how long you have had the new one working reliably.

Since it's a bear to get access to the starter, I want to put in the best possible replacement so I don't have to do it again for several years.

Thank you.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
Have not replaced mine, but when I do it will be OE.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put in a Quality Built 17870N (N for New) they also offered a rebuilt one. Got it on Amazon for just over $100, at the time, with no core charge. Just checked it a little while ago and it doesn't seem to be offered there anymore but saw it on CARID. It's been fine for more than a year now. Came with a 2 year roadside assistance program, whatever that's worth. Much cheaper than OEM and so far so good. I had a few pangs of regret not getting a Honda original starter while I was doing the pretty long and inloved installation but I am fine with my choice now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If I worried about such things, which I do not, I would get a used OEM starter. It is probably a Denso unit. I would then get solenoid kit for that starter and repair it to have it on hand. Do a search for Denso starter solenoid contacts or Denso starter solenoid repair kit. The solenoid contacts is usually all that is wrong with them, as the contacts get pitted over time from the contacts arcing slightly when they make or break contact.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I worried about such things, which I do not, I would get a used OEM starter. It is probably a Denso unit. I would then get solenoid kit for that starter and repair it to have it on hand. Do a search for Denso starter solenoid contacts or Denso starter solenoid repair kit. The solenoid contacts is usually all that is wrong with them, as the contacts get pitted over time from the contacts arcing slightly when they make or break contact.
The factory starter is a Mitsuba.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What usually goes wrong with them? Reason I ask my Honda 4-wheeler proved why they added a kick starter and found by rerouting the brush leads I could fold that kick start lever back away. Been three years and the TRX300FW gets used multiple times a day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having my starter replaced this coming Wed. My mechanic will be instaling a Denso. Its price is about $275. With labor,it will come to about $500.
Mick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine didn't fail completely, but it started to get weak. I think it had a bad spot on the commutator as every now and then it would take a few turns of the key before it would chooch. I replaced it at 157k with an OEM starter and it's been fine since (currently at 222k).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced mine about 6 months ago, it left me stranded.
Had to go with Pep Boys due to cost and convenience.
I would have preferred OEM, but the $375 my dealer wanted was a bit too much.

I was looking into a brush rebuild kit, but mine died before I could get that far.
Maybe I'll look for a good OEM on eBay or junkyard, and rebuild it for next time.

Next may be the ignition starter switch, every once in a while it buzzes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What usually goes wrong with them? Reason I ask my Honda 4-wheeler proved why they added a kick starter and found by rerouting the brush leads I could fold that kick start lever back away. Been three years and the TRX300FW gets used multiple times a day.
As I understand it the starter motor housing can get clogged up with carbon, or the brushes wear out I guess. If the starter was located in a more accessible area I would enjoy just trying to clean it out and rebuild it but replacement with a new or reputable refurbished starter seems like the best route. So, I'm trying to see if there is a consensus on what is the best balance of cost and reliability. I hope more people weigh in over time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced my starter the first week of December, 167k on my E. Went with the Napa brand name but whatever they carry is what I went with since my friend works for Napa. Total was $98 I believe plus the core of course, I wanted to have it done but too cheap to spend money on labor I can do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looking to replace on my 2003, as a precaution, turned 163k today, quoted $275 for replacement (rebuild I believe) and 3 hours labor for $360 at rt 23 dealer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts