Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to worry that the next time I go out my E isn't going to start. I have several instances where the starter merely screeches when I try to start it. So far it has engaged the second time I turned the key, but on one occasion I had to try for several times to get it started. On that occasion the engine just didn't seem to fire when I cranked it over. The problem occurs running short trips around town.

Anyone experiencing similiar problems?

Otherwise 6,000 wonderful miles so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never had it not turn over, but this is the first car I've had in years where I have to give it some gas to start. In all my other recent cars, just turning the key would be enough.

eKennedy

·
Registered
17 Posts
eKennedy,

I LOVE THE QUOTE!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've had our Element for just a few days now, but I notice that it has been slow to start. I thought I'd almost need a boost today when it took 3 tries! Heck, there's only 177 KM on it?!

Cheers, Derek

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may end up being way off on this one, but I've noticed that my E turns over fine, albeit without the "vigor" I'd expect from a vehicle with 600 miles on it.
One possibility: Take a look at the BATTERY in this vehicle; It's about the size of the one in my riding lawn mower!
If I can squeeze a larger battery tray and battery in there, I'm seriously considering doing it.
Bob

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Note that the 2003-2004 service manual states that all of the Honda cars with the Immobilizer system will take an extra second or two to start vs. non-equipped models due to the processing done during engagement of the starter to unlock the fuel pump from the locked state.

And yes, the battery is small too. :)

It may take longer in the cold.

-brendan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that we are in -10 weather up here in the New England, when I go out to start my E it does not give me too much confidence... it starts with a very SLOWWWWW UR UR UR then finally catches but almost sticks a little bit on the final UR prior to starting, and then makes an extra noise for the first 15 seconds of cold running, this goes away but have no idea what it is/was... and yes the battery is about the size of my lawn tractor, maybe there will be an aftermarket battery tray and we can all put real batteries in our E's!

·
Registered
150 Posts
the cold weather has made it hard starting for me as well - and i hear that noise too1

·
Registered
84 Posts
[quote:983e97ae52=" "]Note that the 2003-2004 service manual states that all of the Honda cars with the Immobilizer system will take an extra second or two to start vs. non-equipped models due to the processing done during engagement of the starter to unlock the fuel pump from the locked state.

It may take longer in the cold.

-brendan[/quote:983e97ae52]

I'm wondering if we can do the following... Turn the key over to the "I" or the "II" position and leave it there for a few seconds beofre turning it to the "III" start position? Would this unlock the immbolizer system and allow for a faster start?
I'm in Toronto and with the minus 30 to minu 40 Celcius weather my elmenet has started. It took a few seconds longer and makes a high pitch noise the first 30seconds or so after start up until the rev's drop to normal, but it starts!
The clutch works well in the cold and except for getting into second the gears work well in extreme cold.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:96b9ac29bb=" "][quote:96b9ac29bb=" "]Note that the 2003-2004 service manual states that all of the Honda cars with the Immobilizer system will take an extra second or two to start vs. non-equipped models due to the processing done during engagement of the starter to unlock the fuel pump from the locked state.

It may take longer in the cold.[/quote:96b9ac29bb]

I'm wondering if we can do the following... Turn the key over to the "I" or the "II" position and leave it there for a few seconds beofre turning it to the "III" start position? Would this unlock the immbolizer system and allow for a faster start?[/quote:96b9ac29bb]

Maybe. If it does unlock prior to turning key to the start position, then yes. I'll try to remember to experiment.

[quote:96b9ac29bb=" "]I'm in Toronto and with the minus 30 to minu 40 Celcius weather my elmenet has started. It took a few seconds longer and makes a high pitch noise the first 30seconds or so after start up until the rev's drop to normal, but it starts!
The clutch works well in the cold and except for getting into second the gears work well in extreme cold.[/quote:96b9ac29bb]

I'm pretty sure that the immediately-after-start revs are actually higher this winter than they were this summer. I'm curious if there's a table of rules relating to temperature and starting rpms, etc. somewhere.

-brendan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Any ideas what the high pitched noise is? Almost sounds like lack of oil in the head, maybe that is why they call for 5W oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.