Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,

As has been documented on U-Tube, you can go in from the bottom but everyone I have seen doing that, had an auto lift and could stand under the car.

A lot different laying on your back doing it in your driveway.

Not really that bad going in from the top, just set the day aside to do it, especially the first time!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Only took me 2.5 hours. Probably spent an hour trying to disconnect the two electrical connectors underneath the intake and removing that support bracket.

I live in a rust area so the tabs on those electrical connectors had swelled up and were holding the connectors on solid

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi,

As has been documented on U-Tube, you can go in from the bottom but everyone I have seen doing that, had an auto lift and could stand under the car.

A lot different laying on your back doing it in your driveway.

Not really that bad going in from the top, just set the day aside to do it, especially the first time!!!
I have removed mine from the bottom, Wasn't that bad but ended up pulling the thermostat to swap it, witch made it much easier to get too..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
Well, that thermostat is not a walk in the park either.
I drove a 89 F-150 for 25 years, so I'm spoiled I guess, plenty of room on that Ford, compared to the Honda!:cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi,
Well, that thermostat is not a walk in the park either.
I drove a 89 F-150 for 25 years, so I'm spoiled I guess, plenty of room on that Ford, compared to the Honda!:cool:
I got the starter installed today the thermostat ended up being incorrect so I had to order a different one but I went ahead and test started it to make sure everything was good and it started right up no issue..

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got the starter installed today the thermostat ended up being incorrect so I had to order a different one but I went ahead and test started it to make sure everything was good and it started right up no issue..
Hi,
Where did you get the starter? How much $$$?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always turn my key 1/4 way wait a few seconds then tun the key all the way. Just a force of habit. I am gentle with my E on starting. My wife is bemused by this ritual. I also almost always turn of my A/C before turning off the engine, and prefer to let it start up with A/C off. On the rare times I gun the accelerator really hard, I turn off the A/C prior to that. I have replaced the starter twice and am at 190k. Got my last one from Seagiant. OEM and rebuilt by him. Thank you sir!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
No problem, from what I hear the " new" OEM starters from Honda are Honda inhouse rebuilds.

Because I rebuild them myself, I would be VERY interested, to see what their rebuild procedure is like.

The good news is, that Mitsuba builds a darn nice starter, to begin with!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think they are new new.. Re-man would be a re-man even from the dealer if thats really an option..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
I was told that the only Element starters now available from a Honda Dealer, was remaned and rebuilt by Honda.

I believe that came from the parts guy at my Dealer.

I try not to push false informatin and was why I started rebuilding my own.

My Dealer wants north of $300 for a starter???

I'll call tomorrow and see what I can find out again!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
Ok....I just talked to the Parts Guy at my Dealer and here is what he told me.

For the Honda Element you can NOT but a new starter from Honda, everything they sale for the Element is a rebuild, rebuilt by Honda in house by Honda!

The starter is $467 with a $70 core charge and comes with a 3 year warranty.

He also said, IF a new starter was available, Honda would only warranty it for one year,BUT, because Honda was rebuilding these starters themselves, they give 3 years!

So this is what is going on in my area, and what I was told and why, I rebuild my own starters.

As I said before, it would be interesting(to me!) to see just what exactly Honda does on their rebuilds???

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When I replaced mine 2 months ago, I bought new from Majestic, 1 year warranty and no core charge. They still list the new one, along with a rebuilt one at about $100 less.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I replaced mine 2 months ago, I bought new from Majestic, 1 year warranty and no core charge. They still list the new one, along with a rebuilt one at about $100 less.
Hi,
Do you have a link for that???

When I look up Majestic Honda, all I get is a Dealership up North?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts