Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

2004 honda element ex auto trans. having issues starting it. when i turn the key all my lights come on, i can hear the fuel pump whine when i turn the key so i believe it has positive fuel pressure. Will not start in Neutral and i have had the battery tested and battery does test fine. But there is absolutely nothing, doesn't even try to start. did start and was ran a little over 24 hours ago, i assume it can only be the starter, ignition switch or starter relay. I know where was an recall for the ignition switch previously but I'm not sure if it was replaced or not, when i checked it the ignition switch that is installed has phillips head screws in it so I'm "assuming" that it has been replaced. i can't really get anything in-between the intake manifold to tap,hit, etc the starter so I'm not sure really what to do. I don't want to just put in new parts until i find whats wrong. any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you should go for the starter

Hello
it happen to me when I got my E. I think you need to replace the starter, probably is the original that came with the E.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Will not start in Neutral
By this you mean that you tried it in park first, and when that didn't work, you then tried neutral? I'm not sure it's supposed to start in neutral.

Do your brake lights work?
Yes, i tried it in park first Ramblerdan and it would not start. then shifted into neutral and tried to start and would not. yes my real lights work, i read some one ask that question in the forum but never found out a reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
it happen to me when I got my E. I think you need to replace the starter, probably is the original that came with the E.
I hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply mochistlan, i spent the last day putting a starter in it and still nothing, even tried both keys to see if it was a theft deterrent thing. still no start

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so now I've replaced the starter, ignition switch and starter relay. tried with both keys, brake lights work. getting desperate.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
my real lights work, i read some one ask that question in the forum but never found out a reasoning behind it.
This doesn't help in your case, but for reference, operational brake lights prove that the switch at the brake pedal functions. Many cars (not sure about automatic Elements; manuals require the clutch pedal to be engaged) have an interlock that won't allow the engine to start unless (sensibly) there's a foot on the brake. This also applies to cruise control, which won't function if the fuse for the brake lights is blown.

·
Registered
21 Posts
transmission range switch (neutral safety switch)

Same thing happened to mine last year. Had to replace the Transmission Range (neutral safety) switch. Located on the the transmission #19. Got it from AutoZone at the same price as H&A. (I know that's blasphemous but I was stuck:|).

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts