Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone now and then when I attempt to start the engine, I'll hear this slight crackling sound, something like electrical interference coming from the stick shift when in park. I'll fiddle with the shifter a little and then the engine will start. As I said it was rather intermitent, but yesterday while up in the mountians it happened three times. Not good when you're in winter conditions. I'll need to resolve this issue asap?
Roy
2008 4WD

·
Registered
273 Posts
Everyone now and then when I attempt to start the engine, I'll hear this slight crackling sound, something like electrical interference coming from the stick shift when in park. I'll fiddle with the shifter a little and then the engine will start. As I said it was rather intermitent, but yesterday while up in the mountians it happened three times. Not good when you're in winter conditions. I'll need to resolve this issue asap?
Roy
2008 4WD
Make sure the buzzing isn’t actually coming from the base of the steering column. If it is, it’s probably the ignition or “steering switch”. Happened to me a few years back. I believe the part number is 35130-SAA-J51. You can use that to get more info. from this site. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
738 Posts
If it is coming from the dash, the noise could be the starter cut relay. Operation of this relay is also dependent on the transmission range switch (circuit closes in P and N); this would be affected by you messing with the shifter. This switch is mounted on the left end of the transmission, item 20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the buzzing isn’t actually coming from the base of the steering column. If it is, it’s probably the ignition or “steering switch”. Happened to me a few years back. I believe the part number is 35130-SAA-J51. You can use that to get more info. from this site. Good luck.
I paid closer attention and determinded that yes indeed, it is coming from the steering column.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hear an arcing type sound while starting my E if I don't turn the key all the way. When you start your E turn the key with a little more deliberate effort making sure you're turned all the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts