Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: am installing a Kenwood Nav/BU, etc. and finally working on the BU camera part. Found a/the plug and green wire on console R-side that triggers the BU lights, so scraped a bit of insulation and tapped a wire to the head-unit. Perfect: camera on when move to Reverse. Back to Park, turn ignition off, and finish-up the wiring. Now, when I turn ignition to 2nd 'click':

* no instrument lights (oil, check engine, seat belt, etc.) or gauges (temp, fuel)
* interior lights come on, as usual
* green 'key' light comes on
* key beeper beeps
* stuck in Park (with foot on brake)
* headlights work; daylight lights work; BU lights don't work
* cool new radio/nav/BT works fine (except for BU camera)

Turn key to 'start' and engine starts just fine; still no instruments, still stuck in Park.

Read a few threads; thanks. Checked battery (12.3v), two leads into back of fuse box (12.3v), fuse 19 (12.3v), fuse 20 (12.3v).

Full confession: I did not disconnect ground before starting my project.

Clearly I did 'it' to myself. Thank you for any leads, tips, ideas.

Ben

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you try disconnecting the wire you just added and reverse the procedure with nothing wired up? I would do that and see if everything works. If it does then you clearly have a problem with choosing that wire.

Berz out.

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that certainly makes a lot of sense. Then I can go to plan B and run the trigger wire off the backup light and run up-front.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a rain-out, so may not get back to it til Mon. Thank you. (still hoping for a miracle, if anyone has one). Will update.

Thanks.

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out first thing this a.m. Clipped the added/new wire from the existing Honda green wire. The green wire appears fine (will check continuity later), aside from 1/2" of insulation I trimmed to make the ill-fated joint.

Same indications as last night (no lights, stuck in Park, etc.). Will start digging into diagrams to see what - upstream - I must've tripped.

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starts, no instruments, stuck in Park - solved

Ahem ... I'll begin with the lesson-learned: follow directions ... "Step 1, disconnect battery ground."

Which, as I admitted above, I didn't. Turns out my soldering/attachment of a pig-tail (for the BU camera) to the BU wire blew fuse 10, "Meter". Replaced fuse, tried again and (as Einstein predicts) it blew again. Disconnected battery, tried again, and THEN reconnected: happy fuse, camera works fine.

Attaching a pix of the area, showing (as best as I can) the plug and BU wire. Again, mine is a 2010.

Thanks to my nearby Norm Reeves Honda Service Dept., who figured it out for a very fair charge.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out! I hate electrical gremlins. I have the DDX771 kenwood deck I just installed. I will be installing the backup camera shortly so I thank you for your posting this as I too would NOT have disconnected the ground lol. Where did you mount the camera in the rear might I ask?

Berz out.

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! Mine's the 773S. Using a Boyo camera which is integrated into the license frame; because of it's wiring configuration I was incentivized to tap up-front.

On my 2005 I used a Techronics camera, also on the frame. But I wired it off the backup light in-back; just tapped off the wires going into the light receptacle. One less wire to run to the front ... and sweat my 'educational experience'.

I've seen a couple YouTubes on installing separate cameras, if you haven't looked there yet.

Best, and thanks.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts