Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my new 2009 Element in March of this year and now that colder weather is upon the Northeast I'm looking for Steelies to mount snow tires on. No luck anywhere but the dealer.

What's the lug pattern of the Element I own? Has it ever changed though the model years?

What, if any, Honda cars have a lug pattern that's the same as the Element?

I've tried Ebay (shipping to much), Craigslist (nothing listed), and the trading post (no responses) - where else should I look for cheap steelies before I spend an arm and a leg at the dealer?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Try a junk yard too. Maybe even a Mom & Pop tire place.

The bolt pattern is the same all years. 5x114

Lots of Accords (5lug...not 4 lug!)used this pattern, and so do CR-Vs. The 15" CR-V wheels will fit, just adjust tire size to something like 225/75-15 to compensate.

Read thru a few more threads and try a few different search terms, there is lotsa info.

Good lck!

Will

(if you find any 17" CR-V steelies to far south of you (NJ-PA area) let me know!)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I got my 15" steelies from Tirerack.com for $40 each and shipping was pretty reasonable even with heavy all terrain tires mounted, plus they arrived in only three days.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Go to the trading post here, or Craigslist, or hit any local tire store, or even your honda dealer and ask him for a set of take-offs. That is when a person buys an LX model but then spends $2,500.-- for aftermarket alloys... -- go figure!?!? All Honda and Acura 5-hole rims ill fit!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
nope...not Ridgeline (fer sure)....and some Pilots I think. ;-)
OK, I didn't know 'bout the Ridgie, but that I can actually understand, it's a different weight class. I had thinked the Pilots' will fit? Isn't there a member with Pilot steelies? Have they uprated the Pilot to Ridgie wheels?

·
12,179 Posts
2005+ Odyssey 5 x 120
2009+ Pilot 5 x 120
All Ridgeline 5 x 120

2009+ TL 5 x 120

Other than the above vehicles all other Honda/Acuras use a 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Thanks Lizzurd,

I was unaware that the "Big Trucks" are getting bigger bolt circles...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pilot steelies (pre-2009 apparently) looks like they fit.

If you can't find a set locally, your best bet may be to get generic steelies w/winter tires installed from DiscountTiredirect or TireRack.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
latest

Ugh... Craigslist, want ads, junk yards, EOC, all coming up empty. Dealer wants $75 per wheel! I think I'll start looking at the tire rack and Ebay. I'm really surprised they are this hard to find - maybe it's the season?!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Ugh... Craigslist, want ads, junk yards, EOC, all coming up empty. Dealer wants $75 per wheel! I think I'll start looking at the tire rack and Ebay. I'm really surprised they are this hard to find - maybe it's the season?!
While this time of the year the steelies are a bit more popular, if you keep your eyes open you will find them for free as well. I have seen several occasions where someone just wanted to off-load a set.
If you do not need 'em right now, I would hang back, scan all the likely sources and just make it known in general, at work, and with your circle of acquaintances. I was able to pass on a couple of '99 Ody stock alloys to a 'friend' because he mentioned in passing that he hit debris on the freeway and hated to spend $250.-- for a new alloy. "Hey, I got a set of them laying around, want one or two?"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tirerack'd it

$55 per wheel on tirerack.com = $220 and $40 S/H. No tax, arrives by the 17th if on time.

Dealer wanted $75 per wheel and had to order them, a week or two for delivery.

A no-brainer, really.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i've been trying to find a set locally w/o much luck. i was told the '07, '08, and '09 elements have the same bolt pattern & fit. years prior to '07 have a different size center hole.

i found a local shop who could get them for me... $65 per wheel.

·
12,179 Posts
i've been trying to find a set locally w/o much luck. i was told the '07, '08, and '09 elements have the same bolt pattern & fit. years prior to '07 have a different size center hole.

i found a local shop who could get them for me... $65 per wheel.

The only difference is the 2007+ wheels are counter balanced for the TPMS sensors. Other wise they all fit all years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there anything wrong with keeping steelies on year-round? I just like how they look. Performance/gas mileage wise, are they still a good alternative. Keep in mind it gets down close to 0 during the winter here and over 100 during the summer.

Thx

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Is there anything wrong with keeping steelies on year-round? I just like how they look. Performance/gas mileage wise, are they still a good alternative. Keep in mind it gets down close to 0 during the winter here and over 100 during the summer.

Thx
No, absolutely not... All LX Hondas for 30+ years have been delivered with steelies....

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only difference is the 2007+ wheels are counter balanced for the TPMS sensors. Other wise they all fit all years.
lizzurd, sorry...I'm showing my ignorance once again, but what do you mean by that exactly? Will the TPMS sensors not work if you buy steels previous to 07? I found a guy on craiglist selling a set of 4 for $120 that came off an 05 accord. I know its 5 lug, but I asked about the bolt pattern and have yet to hear back.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If you choose to purchase and install (and bring to the dealer for setup) TPMS sensors they will work fine with most any wheel. A few extra ounces of weight may be required for tire/wheel balancing...no big deal.

You may want to skip the TPMS sensors in winter wheel situations to keep things simple. If you're gonna mount tires to some steelies and run 'em year 'round it is prolly worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts