Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could you do as far as getting a set of 16" steel wheels with TPMS sensors installed shipped to a residential address in 58201?

Pretty sure other people may be interested in these as well since a lot of folks run winter tires and don't really feel like using their summer wheels to do so.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
What could you do as far as getting a set of 16" steel wheels with TPMS sensors installed shipped to a residential address in 58201?

Pretty sure other people may be interested in these as well since a lot of folks run winter tires and don't really feel like using their summer wheels to do so.
You know that those TPMS sensors would have to be registered with your vehicle each time you swapped the wheels, right?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts

Thank you for the post. We would be happy to assist you with your wheel needs.

As you may know, shipping and sales tax is free for ND residents. That said, here's our current mail order pricing.

16x6.5 5-114.3 41B Unique 83 (P.C. 69654)- $56.00 each
TPMS Sensors (P.C. 98132) - $27.00 each

Assuming you already have witer tires, you will need to have the TPMS sensors installed during mounting.

If you need further assistance, please give us a call at 1.888.459.4080. We appreciate the opportunity at your business.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the post. We would be happy to assist you with your wheel needs.

As you may know, shipping and sales tax is free for ND residents. That said, here's our current mail order pricing.

16x6.5 5-114.3 41B Unique 83 (P.C. 69654)- $56.00 each
TPMS Sensors (P.C. 98132) - $27.00 each

Assuming you already have witer tires, you will need to have the TPMS sensors installed during mounting.

If you need further assistance, please give us a call at 1.888.459.4080. We appreciate the opportunity at your business.
Wow, awesome. Called up Tom and he said they should be here in 3 days. Can't beat that. Especially the free shipping thing. :cool:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news with those steel wheels and TPMS sensors. Guess the retaining collar doesn't screw down far enough to lock the sensors in place. Steel wheels have less thickness than aluminum wheels.

We had to fab up some spacers to go between the wheel and the locking collar thing on the outside to get things to work. Not much of a spacer. Maybe 1/16-3/32", but enough to be able to lock everything in place.

Just a heads up if you plan on selling this combo in the future. Either get some of these washers to send out with the sensors, or find a thicker rubber grommet thing to take up some of the extra play room.

·
12,179 Posts
Bad news with those steel wheels and TPMS sensors. Guess the retaining collar doesn't screw down far enough to lock the sensors in place. Steel wheels have less thickness than aluminum wheels.

We had to fab up some spacers to go between the wheel and the locking collar thing on the outside to get things to work. Not much of a spacer. Maybe 1/16-3/32", but enough to be able to lock everything in place.

Just a heads up if you plan on selling this combo in the future. Either get some of these washers to send out with the sensors, or find a thicker rubber grommet thing to take up some of the extra play room.
With the Honda sensors for the E both alloy and steel wheels use the identical sensor.
I don't know if the aftermarket sensors are the same....but there is a trick to installing the Honda sensors. Most guys will thread on the nut until they think it is tight and complain we sold them the wrong sensor because it is loose on the rim. The nut is designed to be only used once. You thread it on slowly and waiting for a click as you tighten it and then torque it to factory specs.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you just keep threading passed the point where it won't turn anymore?

Seems like an expensive "experiment" to me.

·
12,179 Posts
So you just keep threading passed the point where it won't turn anymore?

Seems like an expensive "experiment" to me.

Maybe this will help. This is the Method for the Honda sensor.
Use it at your own caution. I have seen more than a few broken sensors from guys reefing the nut down too tight.

Have you contacted Discount Tire to see if the had more info on installing the sensors?

Attachments

·
12,179 Posts
Correct the CRV uses a washer. The Honda sensor for the E don't use a washer.

There are 5 or 6 different sensors.Some use the washer...some don't.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe this will help. This is the Method for the Honda sensor.
Use it at your own caution. I have seen more than a few broken sensors from guys reefing the nut down too tight.

Have you contacted Discount Tire to see if the had more info on installing the sensors?
So from the looks of that illustration, whatever stops the nut when you tighten it all the way down hand tight, will actually break off once the nut is torqued to 3 ft/lbs. I'll have to call the tire guy in the morning and mention this to him.

Contacted Discount Tire when my tire guy told me about the problem. Talked to Dave and he kind of gave me the "go ahead" for my washer idea. The other option they had was to buy some alloy rims, send back the sensors, or send back both the sensors and the rims for a full refund.

I'm just going to go with the washer idea for now. If that leaks, I guess I'll try the 3 ft/lb/breaking off the retainer thing, and if that doesn't work, I'll just go with regular valve stems and put up with the TPMS light.

·
12,179 Posts
So from the looks of that illustration, whatever stops the nut when you tighten it all the way down hand tight, will actually break off once the nut is torqued to 3 ft/lbs. I'll have to call the tire guy in the morning and mention this to him.

Contacted Discount Tire when my tire guy told me about the problem. Talked to Dave and he kind of gave me the "go ahead" for my washer idea. The other option they had was to buy some alloy rims, send back the sensors, or send back both the sensors and the rims for a full refund.

I'm just going to go with the washer idea for now. If that leaks, I guess I'll try the 3 ft/lb/breaking off the retainer thing, and if that doesn't work, I'll just go with regular valve stems and put up with the TPMS light.
After i get my son to bed i will take a look and see if i can find instructions for the aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the washer thing worked like a charm. I'd like to put them on the car, but no need for it. No snow anywhere in sight, and no need to start tearing them up by driving on dry pavement just quite yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts