Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could go in both the suspension and exterior category but the problem is more of an aerodynamic issue which can be fixed by exterior mods

I have noticed that over 70 mph our E starts to get light in the steering, below that it's rock solid. I'm going to go in for an alignment as well but it's starting to get lift above 70. It's not a big deal unless we have 10-15+ mph crosswinds. The short wheelbase it getting light in the front make for an interesting drive.

We drove 1k miles this weekend sustaining between 70-80mph and I could tell it was getting light esp when touching 85 passing.

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, and has done anything to help solve the problem. I'm thinking I could get a bug deflector for the front that would give a touch of down force, add a 1-2" air dam or chin spoiler, or get a grille guard which will add 30-40 extra pounds.

I don't have this problem in my Durango, mainly because I have 600lbs of detroit iron sitting on the front wheels... LOL.. The element is shaped like an inefficient wing.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Over the past week I just drove from western NC and back. Steering seemed normal to me.

I think what you are experiencing is that the E does get blown around from side to side a bit.

Only thing that might help a little would be some wider tires. Otherwise, you just need to keep your hands on the steering wheel. 85 is umm... interesting. I prefer to keep it around 80 tops.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I havent had problems at any speed... rarely do i take her over 80 though... but from time to time for a quick passing burst, ive been known to stretch out the legs a little :) Never felt light in the front even when i had the hitch basket loaded with stuff... nothing too heavy though.

My question... How much junk do you have in your trunk?:lol:

No, but seriously, did you have a lot of heavy stuff in the back? towing something? hitch basket loaded?

Cross winds are fairly wicked in the E for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was just my wife and I, probably 100lbs of luggage, dog crate, sodas, etc, and our new 87lb pup. I actually find that the problem is worse when unloaded and it's just one person driving it.

As you go over 75 you can lightly but quickly twist the wheel left/right (not much mind you) and feel that it's not responding as quickly. I know what float feels like because my VW bug (shaped like a wing) would get light in the steering at higher speeds.

Honestly, I think getting more weight in front of the front wheels will really help. I would never say that for any other vehicle.. LOL. I'm also going to fab a small air dam just to see how the E reacts. Ill let ya'll know my findings.

The good thing?!? is that now with our new addition we wont be able to travel with the Element anymore as all three dogs wont fit with crates and luggage. I'll miss the mileage of the Element... 24 vs. 18..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Question: Have you put any power-steering fluid other than Honda in it?

The reason I ask is I had the same thing on a Civic and the issue was an power-steering fluid I bought at walmart that said it would work with honda.

To fix it I had to drain and fill the steering fluid 3 times.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Another thing to note is that most vehicles will be easier to turn the wheel with when you go faster. Not sure if that's what you're referring to.

After who knows how many miles through western NC, I can tell you about some strong torque steer when accelerating uphill and that I can totally understand why people think the car is under powered and how the brakes are too small. But, I haven't had the problem ChestersPot describes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
DId you install wings on the E?:lol:

Again, ive never had the problem with either of my elements. Windy days are a bit scary... but my steering in the E has always been tight, never slow to respond (unless the wheels are slipping due to my own shenanigans).

Exactly how fast are you taking this thing?

What tires do you have on there? (the stock tires are notorious for being worthless)

3 dogs and luggage? itll fit... get a hitch basket, call it a day :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i've never changed the P/S fluid.. would be a good thing to do.

Tires are inflated properly

I'm thinking that it's an alignment issue. Granted this float isn't hugely noticeable but I am picky about everything on my vehicles. And yes its horrible on windy days since the E doesn't weigh that much and is a shed going down the road

Tires are good ole bridgestone duelers.... yay!! I am looking at new tires right now but not sure what I want. Thanks for all the tips.

Oh btw one is over 85lbs, the new pup is 87lbs, and the other is 90. The new one will be 120 so the Element is getting quite small.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts