Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon! Great Saturday for a new project.

So i've been observing this boot tear on what looks like the center of the steering rack, when you pop the hood, behind the engine. Made a quick search and found nothing relating to this specifically. I checked my buddys element and his boot is on there as it should be. Mine is torn. I'd like to avoid any preventable issues with my steering rack down the road caused by excessive dirt locking & drying up stuff in there. I sliced a water bottle and placed it over but it moved around.

So has anyone dealt with this same issue? And what is the remedy for it? It's tuff to even get back there, but do they have an aftermarket boot to slide over this? Suggestions are welcome! (PICTURE ATTACHED)

Attachments

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
578 Posts
Does the tear go all the way around? Miserable access and it's a kludge, but 3M Window Weld bonds wondrous well to rubber and sets up fast. One of those times you wish you had a 6" tall double with immense strength. Another thought. Is that exact boot available aftermarket or can you get most of one from a scrapyard? Get one, make a nice short sleeve, slip it over, and bond it on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the tear go all the way around? Miserable access and it's a kludge, but 3M Window Weld bonds wondrous well to rubber and sets up fast. One of those times you wish you had a 6" tall double with immense strength. Another thought. Is that exact boot available aftermarket or can you get most of one from a scrapyard? Get one, make a nice short sleeve, slip it over, and bond it on.
Seems that it does go all the way around. Thats what i might do, tough spot but with some elbow grease i might be able to wrap a generic boot long enough to cover that spot. I really want to prevent having to replace an entire steering rack just from that opening attracting dirt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts