Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, hoping to get some opinions here.
My 2004 E just developed ( after leaving the dealer for a 4wheel alignment ) a grinding noise when turning left , only when accelerating . :confused:

went back they went over my E elimated the Cv, wheel bearing etc..
They THINK about 80% it's the steering rack , may be a preasure issue in the rack.

Anybody ever heard of this? And Where is a good place that I can order a new rack from, dealer wants $550 just for the rack..

thanks

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Fill out your info when you get a chance. Is yours a 4X4 or FWD? I have never heard of a steering rack causing a grinding sound. The only thing I can think would be the backing plate on the brake or the caliper touching the rotor or possibly a bad wheel bearing. If its a 4X4 and you have not changed the rear diff fluid in the last 60000 miles do that first as the rumbling from the clutches will transmit to the front. Its hard to make any diagnostics without seeing it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 4wd auto trans. It's not the rear diff, never had a noise from there and I changed the rear fluid.

The sound is noticable from the right front. I've never heard of a rack grinding , waiting for a second opinion. Do want to just throw a rack in on a guess.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Check the wheel and see lf its loose by jacking to uo just ta couple inches off the ground and get a long bar and get it under it and slightly lift up on the tire and see if there is any looseness in the bearing and if not look at the dust plate or the brake caliper and see if there is any shiny parts like its slightly rubbing the rotor.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Any consideration for the CV joint?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.k so removed the axle , let the E threw a left turn in drive way and low and behold STILL MAKES THE GRINDING!!!:x:confused: So that eleminates the axle etc... No issues with backing plate, brakes etc.. Going to throw in a wheel bearing and see what happens....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
argh!!!!!!

Hey Folks , so the wheel bearing didn't fix the issue!!:confused:
Now the only thing that I did was go to a larger size tire when I got them mounted . Can anybody give me some ideas????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts