Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone adapted the steering wheel controls to an AVIC D3 or compatible head unit??? I miss the easy thumb access!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i have a couple different modules that would work for you to do that. one is cheaper and has to be manually programmed, one is a bit more and auto learns the car and the radio and just has to have a few wires connected and you are done. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yoda - you know of any reason why I'm on my 3rd PAC SWI-PS module? All 3 work for a while, then just quit working. I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 as well. I'm not using any resistors when I install - is that why?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think mine is failing now... Whenever I turn the steering wheel, the stations change as if I pressed the steering wheel buttons. It gets quite annoying to the point I want to just remove the damn thing. :( I had my buddy install the PAC unit a few years ago.

Where can I get the ASCW unit?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
ADS Maestro SW iDatalink

The situation you are describing sounds almost more like a bad/failing clock spring than a bad steering wheel control module. My fear is that you would swap the PAC piece and you would have the same type issues with the ASWC because of when/how you are having the problem.

On a side note, there is a new steering wheel control module coming out soon from Automotive Data Solutions (ADS/iDatalink) that allows the user to preprogram the button functions on the computer before installation and assign 2 functions per button, 1 for press, 1 for press and hold. This is great since there are so few buttons in the element, doubleing what you can do from the steering wheel. They have been a leader in the security and remote start bypass arena for years, and are now starting to get into audio. I have installed a few of these beta units and they work great.

http://idatalink.com/maestro

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
that's great... gonna wait for that one. hopefully its not 500 bucks or someting nuts like that

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If its anything like their alarm modules, the first gen will suck & have lots of bugs

I have to agree with Yoda on the spool connection being the potential fault if turning the wheel changes things. Ive never had issues with PAC modules, and only a couple Ive diagnosed which ended up being loose or poor connections as the culprit.

On a side note, there is a new steering wheel control module coming out soon from Automotive Data Solutions (ADS/iDatalink) that allows the user to preprogram the button functions on the computer before installation and assign 2 functions per button, 1 for press, 1 for press and hold. This is great since there are so few buttons in the element, doubleing what you can do from the steering wheel. They have been a leader in the security and remote start bypass arena for years, and are now starting to get into audio. I have installed a few of these beta units and they work great.

Thats good news

If its anything like their alarm modules the first gen will suck & have lots of bugs, but the second gen will be absolutely kick ass!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that's great... gonna wait for that one. hopefully its not 500 bucks or someting nuts like that
target price is the same as the SWI and ASWC's MSRP. Dont expect to find them online for a "discount" for a while though. Look at your local shop and people that already carry their alarm products. Should be hitting the shelves sometime next month.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i have an LX so i have to get to replacing the clock spool and running the lead for it anyway. debating the leather steering wheel swap right now, going to do it all at once

edit: would 70 bucks for the pilot wheel w/ controls be a good price?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hi Yoda, thanks for the response. Would the clock spring affect my cruise control buttons? Those are functioning fine, if it does affect those. It's really strange... steering wheel turns will trigger a station change (as if I am hitting the function button). It won't trigger any volume up/down. Also, it seems to only happen on radio mode, not on my iPod or AV mode (using a scosche bluetooth adapter). Any more tips and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/Mark

The situation you are describing sounds almost more like a bad/failing clock spring than a bad steering wheel control module. My fear is that you would swap the PAC piece and you would have the same type issues with the ASWC because of when/how you are having the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts