Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the "H" emblem in the middle of my driver's side airbag glued on? Can it be replaced without removing or messing with the air bag? Mine has a dent in it, and, because it's right there in front of me, it really bugs me.

I'm not admitting that the dent may have come from me. I may have a pair of drumsticks n the car, and I may have gotten carried away during a Neal Peart drum solo, but I'm not admitting anything!!!!:grin:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Is the "H" emblem in the middle of my driver's side airbag glued on? Can it be replaced without removing or messing with the air bag? Mine has a dent in it, and, because it's right there in front of me, it really bugs me.

I'm not admitting that the dent may have come from me. I may have a pair of drumsticks n the car, and I may have gotten carried away during a Neal Peart drum solo, but I'm not admitting anything!!!!:grin:
ha,,funny,,,good thing you dont have a baseball bat in the car..imagine what damage your do at a red light...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I was into the music sitting at a stoplight, what can I say, I think it was "Tom Sawyer" that got me. :rockon:

Didn't even smack it that hard, I guess that little emblem is made of some pretty thin metal.

All I found in searching were posts that said the entire airbag would need to be replaced. :-o Okay, that's not good. Then a little eBay snooping and searching with various terms gave me this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120583387883&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Looks like the ticket.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, I was into the music sitting at a stoplight, what can I say, I think it was "Tom Sawyer" that got me. :rockon:

Didn't even smack it that hard, I guess that little emblem is made of some pretty thin metal.

All I found in searching were posts that said the entire airbag would need to be replaced. :-o Okay, that's not good. Then a little eBay snooping and searching with various terms gave me this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120583387883&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Looks like the ticket.
Funny story.:lol: Mine is dented from when my mom owned it and used the club steering wheel lock back in the day, let us know how it's replaced and how you made out. I've been thinking of doing this but not sure how to remove and install the new one.:?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The way that Honda seems to handle -anything- that might be a legal liability to them? I'm thinking the mere mention of something fastened to the front of an airbag makes them scream in terror, even if it came from the factory that way in the first place.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, I've successfully removed the dented emblem from my airbag. After studying the image in the auction above, it seemed the emblem would be held in place by those six tabs visible around the outside edge. Seemed logical that the vinyl cover of the airbag would have slots for those, and the tabs would be inserted through and folded over, thus securing the emblem.

So, it seemed a little careful prying would be able to lift and remove the emblem, and it did. Now that sucker didn't give up easily, I'll give it that. The emblem is really a very thin almost foil like piece, and it tears easily. So it came off, albeit in about 6 pieces. Each of the metal tabs was 100% removed, so no pieces of metal floating around behind the vinyl cover to pierce the airbag.

When I get the replacement, there will be no way to mount using the original method with the airbag assembled and in place. No way to bend those tabs over like they were originally. My plan instead will be to carefully remove the tabs and smooth all cuts, then simply silicone the new emblem in place.

This is likely why Honda does not list this item as a separate part, since there is really no way to attach it like OEM. Still, I have 100% confidence that my replacement will be indistinguishable from a factory part when it's done.

I'll post pics of the replacement procedure for future car drummers to follow. In the meantime I have officially retired from the ranks of the car drummers, and have removed my sticks from the vehicle, although I'm still known to do a little air-drumming occasionally.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'll post pics of the replacement procedure for future car drummers to follow. In the meantime I have officially retired from the ranks of the car drummers, and have removed my sticks from the vehicle, although I'm still known to do a little air-drumming occasionally.
Air Benders

·
Registered
208 Posts

Yea, I dented mine as well. The dealer replaced it under warranty. I had tried (gently) to get the old one out as it was just oil canned in. I thought I could pop it out, but I couldn't get the badge out.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All, thought I'd bring this thing full circle here. Finally got the package in the mail today, very slow shipping, but the good news is it was undamaged and exactly the right part. So here is the install:

Here is the airbag after removal of the old dented emblem. You can just barely see the six slots for the tabs to fit into.

Here is the to-be-mounted emblem:

You can see the six tabs here. I have no way of getting onside the airbag to bend these over correctly, so they must be cut off.

Here is the implement of destruction:

Here are the tabs after cutting off. Or at least here are the ones that didn't go zinging across the garage:

Undocumented with a photo, but I smoothed those sharp edges down and touched them up with some black touch-up paint.

Here is what I used to glue the emblem on:

And, drum roll please, here it is on:

Couldn't be easier.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Looks nice, I was going to suggest to high temp headliner spray adhesive if the silicone didn't work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the pics.:035: Couldn't be easier, now I'll have to do it. If you find the standard black silicone doesn't stick over time Permatex makes some called Ultra Black. I've used it in the past and it sticks like SH** to a blanket. Again thanks for the pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.