Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I was driving up a small winding hill at around 25mph when my steering wheel suddenly locked. I turned on my emergency flashers and slowed down enough to not drive off the road, and after jiggling the wheel back and forth a bit it unlocked and I was able to get the car home without further issues.

Obviously I will bring the car into my local dealership, but does anyone have experience with this kind of problem?

I did some googling and it seems like it is likely an issue with the ignition tumbler. I do have a heavy set of keys.

·
Registered
183 Posts
did you have to turn the key back to the ON position? I would recommend helping they keyring lose some weight. 2-4 keys max. Car didn't turn off though right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car didn't turn off. I don't think I touched the keys at all, I just moved the wheel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Element will not lock the steering wheel until the key is removed not just turned off. Personally I would replace the entire column don't believe there is much to service in there.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Car didn't turn off. I don't think I touched the keys at all, I just moved the wheel.
the ignition key switch is not designed to support the weight of a bazillion keys, dodads and other accessories. i detach my ignition key from everything else, even the remote fob, before using it. this also keeps whatever might be dangling from hitting my knee, which i find annoying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, as a safety measure I pulled the car key from my keychain and have nothing else on there when driving.

When I took my E into the dealership they shrugged off the issue and said there was nothing they could do about it without being able to get it to repeat. They claimed that keychain weight would not affect the cylinder (seems wrong based on what I have read).

I took my car to an empty parking lot and tried everything I could to get the problem to repeat itself without luck. Pulling the key out while driving shuts down the power, which is definitely a different error condition. The thing is, I'm not sure that I should be able to remove the key while in drive! I'm wondering if this recall might be pertinent to my issue: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/campaign_and_recall_bulletins/a10-059.pdf

I'm hoping this doesn't reoccur and would appreciate any advice/insight. Having this happen at ~70 on the highway would be incredibly dangerous.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can definitely argue with them about this recall, If you see in my post about "key coming out" in other gear then park. They wanted me to pay a upfront $55 dollars for diagnosis. After diagnosis if it related to the recall they would refund the $55. If not related then they keep 55. I asked them for price of the ignition cylinder with programming, IIRC they wanted somewhere between $850 to $950. Hell no.

Called up NAPA and got one for less than $400 (will look up exact costs tomorrow). Got a snap-on scanner from a business partner and it had the immobilizer feature in it. Programmed both new keys, and both the old ones incase we stuck those into the ignition.

·
Registered
183 Posts
> When I took my E into the dealership they shrugged off the issue and
> said there was nothing they could do about it without being able to get
> it to repeat.

That's a pretty nonchalant attitude toward a potentially dangerous problem. Name and location of dealer?
I went to the one in Towson MD. After that I called the NHTSA and filed a complaint. Also on that document you posted, you might as well check if your engine VIN has a punch mark on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brandfon Honda in CT

I'm looking around for another dealership, as this was my first visit to this one and I agree that the experience was not good. Dealerships in my area have some pretty negative reviews on service, this one was better rated than others so I'm not excited to try the others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts