Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey E owners!
so I got my e 10 months ago.. 2003 ex 100k
Pretty mint comdition all factory.

she had a slight pull in the beginning went to a mechanic and so far have changed
-All motor mounts
-both struts
-both Front control arms bushings and stabilizer links .
-right tie rod
-left front axel .
Got alignments after all this about 3 of them
Still she pulls now drastically to the right.

one guy at pep boys said it might be your tires.
( the man I bough the car from said he just put new tires on) .. one snow day here in nyc and those tires did NOTHING FOR ME. Getting me out of my parking in less then an inch of snow.
So I bought continental cross overs last week!.
Got another alignment.. still pulls to the right especially when braking .. like what can this be???

Help please .. drives me crazy 馃槱馃く

Registered
First error: Pep Boys.

If it was aligned then it should be going straight down the road with the wheel level no problem. Whoever did the job did not actually align the car.

A dragging brake could cause some of your issues along with a locked up caliper on the other side that isn鈥檛 actually braking, thus all the braking on the right pulling the car to the right.

Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
First error: Pep Boys.

If it was aligned then it should be going straight down the road with the wheel level no problem. Whoever did the job did not actually align the car.

A dragging brake could cause some of your issues along with a locked up caliper on the other side that isn鈥檛 actually braking, thus all the braking on the right pulling the car to the right.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as Kmead.

A stuck caliper piston on one side (not pressing on the pads) will cause the steering wheel to pull to the other side when braking. The good side tries to stop and the bad side keeps right on going. So it has to pull the steering to the side that is braking. Simple physics.

If a caliper piston is stuck against the brake pads when you are not applying the brakes (not releasing as it should), it will cause the car to pull to one side as you are driving.

Definitely get your brakes thoroughly checked (by a reputable shop this time!) before you go any further.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
My mechanic did the rotors, calipers, and brakes front and black a month ago..
I was having some vandalism going on (with people scratching my car etc) 馃が.. and I鈥檓 rolling down the road and one of my calipers were loose .. took it back to the mechanic and he put some 鈥渟eize glue鈥 ( to stick in the pin to the caliper ) excuse my lack of knowledge on this lol .. it鈥檚 crazy Bc I went to three diff pep boys only Bc (I bought the lifetime wheel alignment package) supposedly they all aligned my car and checked the brakes mounted my new tires and balanced (idk what else to do really) ... so it can鈥檛 be all of their locations suck :/

or could it lol 馃

Registered
They should be using a lubricant on the slide pins (not glue), but not too much. One of the pins has a rubber collar on it; if there is too much grease beyond the collar, it can get trapped in the bottom of the hole and cause the caliper to push against the outside pad. With all the tire changing, I'm assuming the pressure has been checked. Different pressures in the front tires can cause a pull.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they just put new tires on her and I double
Checked all psi .. just seems like
What else could it be it鈥檚 frustrating :/

Registered
Do you have the factory rear control arms? or aftermarket 'adjustable' control arms? Although it could be many things, having negative camber in the rear from having factory non adjustable control arms could cause you to pull to the right.

Registered
Whoh!! OK, going down the road 35-50 does the car pull to the right or track straight. If straight your tires, alignment etc are OK. Does it only pull to the right during braking? Then it's the brakes. Could be caliper, scored rotor, or bad pads. NOW... it could be the LEFT ! If the left caliper is frozen and not activating the only braking you're getting is the right one and it will then pull to the right.

Registered
Ball joints.

I wince at hearing how bad some mechanics are. Maybe it's because they can't use a scan tool for this issue.

Registered
My mechanic did the rotors, calipers, and brakes front and black a month ago..
I was having some vandalism going on (with people scratching my car etc) 馃が.. and I鈥檓 rolling down the road and one of my calipers were loose .. took it back to the mechanic and he put some 鈥渟eize glue鈥 ( to stick in the pin to the caliper ) excuse my lack of knowledge on this lol .. it鈥檚 crazy Bc I went to three diff pep boys only Bc (I bought the lifetime wheel alignment package) supposedly they all aligned my car and checked the brakes mounted my new tires and balanced (idk what else to do really) ... so it can鈥檛 be all of their locations suck :/

or could it lol 馃
Did the boys and Pep Boys show you the before and after results of the alignment? They should have a print out of how far out of spec the alignment is and how much the adjusted to get back into alignment. If they failed to show you such paperwork I would be very suspicious (it鈥檚 Pep Boys so I鈥檓 already suspicious, don鈥檛 have the best reputation in California either). You may just have to bite the bullet and take your Element to a good Honda dealership or Honda specific mechanic and have them check your alignment.

Registered
My two cents...Hondas have a neutral spot in the center of the steering and tend to have a centering action. ie. Power steering wants to return to dead center. Most mechanics just adjust one side in the front for toe. The lights on the computer turn green, saying it's with in spec, and they are done. That happens several times to the vehicle. Your steering wheel ends up way off center.
First time I dealt with this, on a civic, was the exact same process your going through. Even the dealer didn't correct it. Nobody could figure it out.
Could also check for excessive slop in the steering. Factory is 0-10mm, wheel at dead center, if you can turn the steering wheel more than 10mm and your tires haven't moved , have to adjust the Steering Rack Guide.
Could also be wheel bearing play. Check the run out.
Did you say you replaced the outer ball joints?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the factory rear control arms? or aftermarket 'adjustable' control arms? Although it could be many things, having negative camber in the rear from having factory non adjustable control arms could cause you to pull to the right.
I have factory rear original I believe .. I just bought her last March no knowledge of the last owner .. but I believe they are factory

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
My two cents...Hondas have a neutral spot in the center of the steering and tend to have a centering action. ie. Power steering wants to return to dead center. Most mechanics just adjust one side in the front for toe. The lights on the computer turn green, saying it's with in spec, and they are done. That happens several times to the vehicle. Your steering wheel ends up way off center.
First time I dealt with this, on a civic, was the exact same process your going through. Even the dealer didn't correct it. Nobody could figure it out.
Could also check for excessive slop in the steering. Factory is 0-10mm, wheel at dead center, if you can turn the steering wheel more than 10mm and your tires haven't moved , have to adjust the Steering Rack Guide.
Could also be wheel bearing play. Check the run out.
Did you say you replaced the outer ball joints?
Wow who do u go to for such things I鈥檓 no DIY-er.. lol I鈥檓 a 35 year old woman who is just learning all these fix it your self stuff lol .. thank you for the replie though

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Did the boys and Pep Boys show you the before and after results of the alignment? They should have a print out of how far out of spec the alignment is and how much the adjusted to get back into alignment. If they failed to show you such paperwork I would be very suspicious (it鈥檚 Pep Boys so I鈥檓 already suspicious, don鈥檛 have the best reputation in California either). You may just have to bite the bullet and take your Element to a good Honda dealership or Honda specific mechanic and have them check your alignment.
First two times they claimed they were out of ink .. I hate them .. I went out of state to another Pepe boys to see any different and no have had 4 alignments so far and nothing .. last one did give me a paper but they say they can鈥檛 touch the back camber .. but factory says I shouldn鈥檛 .. I鈥檓 thinking of going to the dealership

1 - 14 of 14 Posts