Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'09 SC w/ 6kmiles now.

Can't seem to find a comfortable position to drive this box on wheels. Doesn't sit near as comfortable as my fords (poke poke).

Anyhow, the steering wheel just simply is too far away. Seems like this toaster was designed for short people. I have to jamb my knees into the dash to get the wheel CLOSE to where I want it, but it's still too far away for aggressive driving and/or long cruises. Anyone else have this issue/figured out a solution?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pretty much it's a preference issue. I have driven Honda's for over 12 years and love the way they drive and seat. If you give me a Ford or Chevy I hate the way they drive and seat :/. Pretty much the same in your situation except the opposite. You may find your body is just too used to American manufacturers bro.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My wife's Corolla is even worse. It would be so much better for us big people if they had put a telescopic steering column in them. I think they put them so far away to help with crash test results. The windshield is also too far away. Sometimes I think I'm sitting the the back seat driving.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
yeah, blame it on the vehicle.
you slide the seat back, but it's the wheel that's too far away.
well, who moved?

<grin>

yeah, i ride w/ the seat all the way back and the seatback upright. this is a compromise between what my legs would prefer and what my arms would prefer, in an ideal world. i've learned to live w/ it. try adjusting the up/down of the seat bottom, the rake of the seatback and the up/down of the wheel, as well as the fore/aft of the seat.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
That's the first time I've seen this complaint. That does not imply that it's not valid. For you, it may be an enormous issue. I had never thought about it at all. But then, I came form 1960's vintage sports cars. The English, well all of the Europeans, prefer straight arms style. Nascar on the other hand, wants to be on top of the wheel. IE: bent elbows

That's not the way I was trained in the driving schools, nor is it the method we teach for road racing.

In fact the wheel position is one of the things I liked about the Element.

I think it boils down to personal preference.

Dom

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My wife's Corolla is even worse. It would be so much better for us big people if they had put a telescopic steering column in them. I think they put them so far away to help with crash test results. The windshield is also too far away. Sometimes I think I'm sitting the the back seat driving.
The windshield is too far away? Why would you want it closer? That's one of my favorite things about the E...adds to the roomy feel of the interior to me. In fact, whenever I get in another car, I feel like my forehead is about to hit the front glass.

THere used to be lots of complaints about the Honda slightly off center steering wheel arrangement, too. This was typical back in the 80s and 90s for the make. I guess I've been driving Honda-mobiles too long to notice anymore. Still, telescopic feature is always a nice option.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I love the windshield distance, first test drive it felt like I was in a Dodge Maxi-Van, I took corners wide and everything. Now I'm used to it. I still think it has the perfect amount of interior space.

·
Registered
831 Posts
'09 SC w/ 6kmiles now.

Can't seem to find a comfortable position to drive this box on wheels.
I understand. I too was disappointed at first in the seating. I require the seat to be as far back as it will go and the reach to the steering wheel was uncomfortable. Just more of a stretch than I was used to. I have gotten use to it but it would be nice if the wheel had telescoped an inch or two.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I understand. I too was disappointed at first in the seating. I require the seat to be as far back as it will go and the reach to the steering wheel was uncomfortable. Just more of a stretch than I was used to. I have gotten use to it but it would be nice if the wheel had telescoped an inch or two.
How is your back position? Is your seat back already all the way forward, which would give you a very very vertical back position, with back of head, upper back & lower back always constantly in contact with seat?
This will also required shorter reach to steering wheel.

Personally, I feel both Toyota & Honda has more sporty racing like seat, it is actually most comfortable for me with this very very vertical back position, with back of head, upper back & lower back always constantly in contact with seat.

It took me awhile to get use to stiff sporty vertical driving position, from soft lay back american car seat, but I could drive in this more vertical position for more than 8 hours a day w/o feeling tired at all.
In our last trip to Oregon 2 weeks ago, we drove more than 2400 miles in 8 days, & I drove 95% of time w/o feeling tired!

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts