Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I did some searching around the forum and I was unable to find a decent install of a CB Radio anywhere so I took some ideas and installed one myself!

Here is what you will need to complete the install of your CB radio in your drivers side door pocket.

- 1 coat hanger for stringing wire through door
- Two spools of wire 1 red and 1 black. I used 16 gauge but i suppose 18 would work as well I just had some extra lying around.
- 1 set of wire strippers
- Set of crimps if needed
- Roll of electrical tape
- 1 CB radio ( of course! )
- 1 drill with a 1/2" bit
- 2 Screw drivers
-1 flat head
-1 Phillips
-1 add-a-circuit
- a couple splices as needed

Ok here we go

Step one- Remove door panels

Follow these instructions to remove the door panel. Once that is done you're ready to move on.

Step Two - Wiring

I chose this spot as where i wanted my radio.

Now to get all the wires for power, ground and antenna i drilled a whole 1/2" thick at the bottom of my pocket once i had th panel removed as shown here.

This is the hole once its was drilled

Now take all your wires and string them through this hole and to the back of the door panel like so

I chose to only run the power through this hole because i wanted to have the antenna only attached when i needed it.

Once the wires are through this hole you will need to get them into the actual door. I chose to put a small hole on the side of the speaker holder to string the wires into as shown here

continued in next post...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now your next step will be to take your coat hanger and straighten it out and put some tape over the end that will be threaded through the rubber tube that connects from under the dash to behind the door panel. The tape will keep the sharp end from puncturing the rubber. Once it is through take both your wires and bend the end of the hanger to grab them and tape over that so that they can be pulled out the end you came in like so

Once these wires are through you are nearly done. All thats left is to wire the power and the ground.

For the power I spliced into an add-a-circuit that i put in fuse spot #3. I will be replacing this with a dedicated add-a-circuit, but I started without all the neccasery equipment.... SEE LIST OF ITEMS NEEDED :)...

As for the ground I was unable to find a decent spot for grounding under the dash so took some extra time and ran the wire down the door frame and under the floor to my center console where I have previously added a 12v socket as seen here

I got the wire under the floor by lifting up the drivers side floor trim and using my coat hanger to pull the wire under once again. This is where i went in.

Continued in next post...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 3

I cannot stress this enough CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE WIRING WORKS if you don't and you put everything back together you will be sorry when you have to redo everything because a wire does not work

Once you are certain all the wiring works you are ready to put everything back together. Once it is all put back together you are ready to finish installing the radio.

I used two strips of Velcro to hold the radio in its place in the door like this

And you're done!

The only thing I did that you may choose to do different was i chose to make the antenna only temporary as i will not need to use my radio all the time. I ran the wire for the antenna from under my drivers seat to the back of my trun where my antenna sits unless it is needed. When it is i can get out put the antenna on the roof; reach under the seat plug it in and it is good to go. here is a picture of my antenna.

I used some extra shelf liner and cut a circle out of it to use as a barrier between the magnet and my roof. This will keep it from scratching.

That should do it. If i have left anything out please let me know. This is my first write up so any constructive criticism is appreciated. I hope this helps anyone else who wants to do this.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lokks good and very informative. I've never thought of putting my CB in the map pocket. At least the speaker's right at your ear.:D
Well I don't use my map pocket for much anyway. But I use the crap out of my overhead storage so installing it there would definitely be a mistake for me.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Awesome write up.....I've been meaning to post up pics for a while....I figure instead of starting another thread, I'll add them in with yours....

Unlike you, I rarely put anything in the overhead bin, so I decided to stuff my old uniden cb & gps up there.......enjoy!

I had a local truckstop cb wizard peak & tune the radio for $15, works awesome..... as far as the antenna goes, I am using one of those thru-glass antennas. Pat

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as the antenna goes, I am using one of those thru-glass antennas. Pat

I have one of the through glass antennas as well, but I read somewhere that they do not provide nearly as much reception. Do you have a problem with yours?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
not at all.......I have read the same issues & found it to be true with quite a few models....however, when I installed this antenna, I made sure to solder a ground wire to the base, which I grounded to the steel body under the headliner & it works GREAT! reception is just as good as my k40 whip. Pat

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,757 Posts
Since you have an EX, a good mounting point under the dash ss near the subwoofer. If you are already down there under the dash, just remove the sub cover and there is a very good grounding bolt on both sides of the woofer.

Just incase people dont want to go under the floor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Step 3

I cannot stress this enough CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE WIRING WORKS if you don't and you put everything back together you will be sorry when you have to redo everything because a wire does not work

Once you are certain all the wiring works you are ready to put everything back together. Once it is all put back together you are ready to finish installing the radio.

I used two strips of Velcro to hold the radio in its place in the door like this

And you're done!

The only thing I did that you may choose to do different was i chose to make the antenna only temporary as i will not need to use my radio all the time. I ran the wire for the antenna from under my drivers seat to the back of my trun where my antenna sits unless it is needed. When it is i can get out put the antenna on the roof; reach under the seat plug it in and it is good to go. here is a picture of my antenna.

I used some extra shelf liner and cut a circle out of it to use as a barrier between the magnet and my roof. This will keep it from scratching.

That should do it. If i have left anything out please let me know. This is my first write up so any constructive criticism is appreciated. I hope this helps anyone else who wants to do this.
Hey what kind of antenna is that? :confused: Is that the entire antenna or does it have a whip that connects to it? What is you range and clarity? I was thinking of adding a CB also, but couldn't find an antenna that wasn't huge sticking of the top of the roof. Thanks

Nice color by the way (I have a tangerine also :D )

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That antenna did have a whip, until my friend lost it of course, so i had to buy a new one. You can always use an on-glass antenna. They will work just as well. With my whip i get about 2-4 miles of listening and about 1 mile of talking. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
CB Install

I think this is a great idea.. The only downfall I can see is that slamming the door all the time is going to send the MIC off flying every time and or the components inside the radio will end up flying off... Either that, or the velcro wouldn't last long. I know this post is old. Can you give us a follow up if you still have your vehicle?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.