Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put these in a few weeks ago and am finally getting around to posting the install. I bought Infinity 6022si speakers at Amazon.com for $135.98 for four including shipping from one of their vendors (Audio Galaxy). They list for $99 a pair and that's what places like Best Buy charge. So it pays to shop around for them. The only other part you need is the Honda harness adapters (one for each of the four speakers). I got mine here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=265-775&CFID=12307808&CFTOKEN=81088306.

So on to the install. First off, I used a plastic pry bar to pop the fronts grills off and the backs pulled off with my fingers.

Here's the stock speaker. Notice it's held in by three screws.

And here's the speaker pulled out showing how it connects to the harness wire. Just unsnap it to remove the stock speaker.

Speaker is out!

Now take a single edge razor and cut off the two nubs so that the new ring that comes with the speakers will seat properly. Using the ring gives you something to screw into and the Infinty speakers don't just line up with the three holes that the stock speaker used.

Place the ring on so that you can use two of the existing screw points and only need to cut one new one.

Here's the ring mounted with at two of the original points. Just mark where the third point is and then drill your new hole.

I used a dremel and an 1/8 inch bit to drill the third point in the ring.

rest of install is in next post as this board only allows 8 images per post.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
6022si Install!

Ring is now solidly mounted using the three original mounting points. If you ever want to put the stock speakers back in, just pop the ring back off!

Here's the Infinity with the harness you need, which snaps right into the one that came with the vehicle. Easy peasy!

Now just position the new speaker and mark the four points to drill for the screws to hold it in. It's best to remove the speaker when you do the holes because one slip of the drill and your speaker cone will be toast. I didn't just use the four existing mounting points of the ring because they protrude and I wanted to be sure that the outer covers would just snap back on.

Speaker installed!

Speaker cover just snaps back on. Completely stealth and again if you ever want to put the stock speakers back in, no worries!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Okay, now I'm really confused. I also used the metal ring, but didn't drill new holes anywhere. I used existing ones (for the three and the four) ... but had to really shove it to get the four screws in, and the front grill doesn't fit very well (without modification). Did you not line up the ring for a reason I missed?? Like, otherwise it wouldn't fit very well? :neutral:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I couldn't get the ring to line up with more than two of the three existing points. How were you able to do that? I didn't use the existing four mounting points of the ring because they protrude enough to cause me concern that the front covers wouldn't snap back on. I made that more clear in the first post above. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
installed both pairs of mine today

yeah i went back and got a second pair for the rear of my car. ill have pictures of it all tomorrow for everyone to see. i did my different. i wired the speaker covers to the speaker door panel, and after i cut out the whole in the door panel so i can adjust my tweeters when ever i want too. it looks really really cool. ill post a blog tomorrow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well done! Thanks for being thorough and including pics. How much of a difference are the infitiy speakers vs the stock on the stock amp?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deeper and fuller sounding. It's not a major difference but for a total cost around $150 it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
joeBoxer said:
I couldn't get the ring to line up with more than two of the three existing points. How were you able to do that? I didn't use the existing four mounting points of the ring because they protrude enough to cause me concern that the front covers wouldn't snap back on. I made that more clear in the first post above. Thanks.
If you don't mock my lame install I'd be happy to compare with you next week ... for my first time it wasn't bad, but it is kinda ugly ... but I'll show you how I got the metal rings to match with the three screw holes. It's the four small ones where I blew it and started modding things that didn't need to be modded. :( Oh well ... not sure I'll put the new holes in before the meet but I'll get it done eventually!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great instalation

Hey Joe boxer,

Thanks for the great step by step installation of the 6022si speakers. The covers fit right over the new speakers without any modifications at all. The only thing different that I did was that I did not have to drill the 4 screws to hold the speaker on the rings because the speakers came with a perfect size screws which bolted right on to the 4 inserts of the ring. It sounds much cleaner and fuller.

·
Registered
262 Posts
joeBoxer said:
two pairs - four total.
ok thanks. i just ordered the speakers earlier today along with my new sub. im so freakin excited. first mod ive been able to do with the e. :D

i'll order the harnesses tomorrow. it's too late tonight.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts