Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know much about stereo installs, but I'm thinking about purchasing a Kenwood DNX5120 with the Ipod control. I was also curious if it was possible to install the Drive-and-Play to run the whole system, including ipod interface.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep changed my mind that quick haha
nevermind, i was just wondering if it was possible to make a setup like my dad has in his QX56

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they have a touch screen with a rotating wheel, kind of like the kardon.
i like the setup though, but it may be overkill

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha im excited. ill be sure to post in here when i get it and show what i have done. by christmas break, i should have more than just the headunit done.

off topic, i just spent this morning bypassing the QX56's ability to block out certain things, including playing DVD on the front screen, while moving. i feel quite accomplished :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump it up

got the headunit. its the kenwood dnx5120, and somewhere on the boards a saw a harness that helps hook aftermarket headunits to the stock sub, anyone know where that is?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
got the headunit. its the kenwood dnx5120, and somewhere on the boards a saw a harness that helps hook aftermarket headunits to the stock sub, anyone know where that is?
There is no such creature. You have to buy the harness that integrates the 4 speakers with the factory amp and make your own adapter out of the cut off end of an RCA for the sub.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nismo is right. If that connector does exist, I couldn't find it.

I'm just finishing up an install of a DNX5120 in my 05.

The wires going from the H/U to the sub have a separate connection on the back of the stock stereo. You have to connect a couple of RCA connectors to those wires and then plug them into the correct outlets on the back of the DNX5120.

I wasn't sure how to handle the whole L/R issue. The stock stereo simply has a positive wire, a negative wire, and a shielding wire going to the sub's amp. Apparently all of the left/right channel issues are handled inside the H/U. The DNX has sub pre-outs for left and right channels. I just took two RCA connectors and wired them both to the wires going to the amp. It seems to work just fine.

Of course, for the wiring of the door speakers and power, lights, etc, you should definitely buy a wiring harness adapter. I'm guessing that you already know about that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BTW, Hockeyguy, there appear to be a number of options regarding the location of the antenna for the GPS (on the dashboard, on the roof, on the roof but under the side cladding, etc.).

I have some Scotch brand adhesive squares (picture a piece of dense foam approx 1" square and maybe 1/8" thick with adhesive on both sides) which I used to stick the antenna to the top of one of the heating ducts inside the dash (just in front of the instrument cluster). I used a couple of them, stacked, to give me a bit of insulation from the duct. Functionally, it's just like having the antenna mounted on top of the dash, except there is a piece of plastic (the top of the dashboard) in the way. I don't think that plastic interferes with the signal at all.

I like not having the antenna on the dash. It may draw the wrong kind of attention, if you know what I mean....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes presto, i already put mine under the cladding, but now i came up too short to plug it in the the H.U. do you have any pictures with help of your install? im 17 and this is my first stereo install, so any help you have for me would be much appreciated

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
Mike where exactly did you put the gps antenna under the cladding? If you stuck it clear in the back you can move it fwd to give you more cable.

If you need help with your install, let me know I may be able to help.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have plenty of wire, i took a different route. and yes, i would like some install help if your available for it

·
Registered
219 Posts
I didn't take any pics when I put it in, but I'm going to have it out again either today or tomorrow (still trying to get the bluetooth to work right) and I'll take some pics then.

In case you are working on it today - when you have the H/U out, if you look through the hole in the dash and over towards the left, you will see a big black horizontal tube up near the front edge of the windshield. I'm pretty sure it's part of the ventilation/AC/defrost system. I just used some thick 2-sided tape to stick the antenna on top of that tube. The reception is great.

BTW, I really like the H/U so far. A few of the controls aren't quite as intuitive as I would like (why can't everything be like my iPhone?), but if you don't mind actually reading the instructions it works out well.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did the "hidden antenna mod," and that should give me great reception. i ran the wire in the hole that the rear washer fluid runs thru between the door and the cabin. i then ran it around the perimeter of the upper passenger side. right now im trying to get off the piece that has the tweeter in it (up front). i have plenty of antenna wire left. here are some pictures so far. will add more as time progresses

·
Registered
219 Posts
HockeyGuy- Here's some pics of my GPS antenna install.....

IMG_0448.JPG

The antenna is on top of the small white piece way in the back, it may be clearer in the next photo...

IMG_0447.JPG

Here, you can see how the antenna is attached to the duct. The last photo (below) is what I used to make the attachment.

IMG_0453.JPG

This really seems to work well for the GPS antenna. I don't know if I would try it for satellite radio though. I think that is a little more sensitive to obstructions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "wiring wise". If you are talking about the metal "cage" that came with the H/U, then, no, I'm not using that at all. As far as wiring goes, I went to Best Buy and bought a wiring harness that consists of a connector (that looks just like the green connector on the back of the factory unit) with a bunch of 6" wires coming out of it. Then I soldered those wires to the corresponding wires on the connector that came with the DNX. It was sort of complicated, but if you take it just one wire at a time it seems to work out OK.

When it came time to put it all back in the dash, I found that the trim piece that came with the DNX wouldn't fit in my dash. I've ordered a piece from here: http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1539 which should take care of the problem. I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

Does this help?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts