Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives for a clear answer, but most of the stereo swaps (with the features we're seeking) are at least a few years old now, and more often than not, the user reviews on that big Brazilian website point to reliability issues.

So. Our ideal system would be a double-DIM with support for Bluetooth-IOS integration and a backup camera. Reliability also a huge consideration - more so than price. Any sort of theft-deterrent (e.g., removable/retractable screen) would be a plus, as well.

We're rolling a 2006 EX-P with factory sound. The summary on speakers is great - what I'm trying to find is a new head unit that fills the bill.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the HU on my wife's Mountaineer with a Sony WXGT90BT just a few weeks ago replacing the OEM unit that was 12 years old. It doesn't have backup camera capability but it is a very nice unit and has just about everything else you could want minus the screen and it was very reasonably priced. I did not integrate it with the steering wheel controls because she said she didn't care about them as she doesn't use them.

The unit sounds excellent and the truck still has the factory sub in it which is now quite noticable, however I did replace the door speakers last year with some Infinity's and those now sound far far better than they did with the OEM head unit.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Anti theft type units are sort of a thing of the past. As prior suggested have a look at Pioneer units. They are very reliable, options of course are more advanced the more $$$ invested (as with any manufacturer) but Pioneer is known to pack all sorts of features in its mid line units that other brands include in top dollar units. Ease of use and actual navigating of the controls is a key factor with touch screen interfaces. Where one brand may clutter things up, Pioneer has done a good job at keeping things basic and intuitive.

You will likely have to source the camera yourself, just make sure the head unit is capable of supporting one. A trick to shave off hundreds here is to find the same camera on ebay for a fraction of the name branded model. For example the name brand of the camera I have carried a near $300 price tag in retail packaging. No name in a brown box was $30 or so shipped off ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW, I have a 2011 EX

I have an iPhone 4S and This time last year I was looking for the same features and functionality as you. I ended up with a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Fortunately for you, Pioneer releases their new models pretty early in the year. I think this year's models will be hitting the stores in the next month or so.
Do a google search on AppEx. If you have a jailbroken iPhone with IOS 6.x it lets you run almost any apps on any Pioneer radio with AppRadio Mode which I think all of their double-din receivers support. The guy who wrote AppEx is still trying to make it work on IOS 7 because IOS 7 was just finally jailbroken about a month ago.
Anyway, check out the Pioneer models. I spent probably 20 hours researching double-din receivers this time last year that had the best compatibility with an iPhone and Pioneer was the clear winner. Also, invest a couple dollars in the brake bypass relay and an Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface. This is what I bought...

Receiver:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A02KOHM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Steering Wheel Control Interface:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Parking Brake Override (this specific one isn't available, but you'll get the idea):
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9AQPUU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Pioneer Cable for AppRadio Mode (for iPhones that use the old 30-pin connector):
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y4464M/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Honda Element Dash Kit:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HD6GOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Honda Element Amplifier Retention Harness (this lets you keep your factory amp and sub):
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YTNRRQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Honda Antenna Adapter:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K4YOCG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I agree on the 2014 pioneer double din line. I just picked up the 5600bhs for $320 on eBay. Its getting iinstralled today! Take a look at the 2600bt or 3600bhs. Prices are very similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly. $400 for a no name hu is scary. Why do I need android?
I like the idea of android to use google maps, I travel for work and can set up routes at my desktop and then log in my google account in the car, However I'm doing this on my phone now anyway. So its not a bid deal just saw it on you Tube in a review and it has a great processor!

I am wondering how the cable for the camera is routed up to the head unit, has anyone posted a map for doing this? Is there a conduit of sorts?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I am looking at this for my 2007 ex , what do you think?
Look here
these just never seem to work well. if you are that set on getting an android head unit look into the Parrot double din

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
these just never seem to work well.
and by never he means neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. I can put a great processor in my kitchen cabinet but its still only going to be a kitchen cabinet with a great processor in it.

Aftermarket head units are catching up as its just been a couple years now smartphones have integrated life. They have made out of the world leaps and bounds over the prior few years which has forced OEM systems to step it up. Im guessing within the next few years we will see a unit that has a slot to put the phone into, forcing no manual use while driving, therefore controlling everything via the head unit itself with some sort of advanced HUD.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
and by never he means neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. I can put a great processor in my kitchen cabinet but its still only going to be a kitchen cabinet with a great processor in it.

Aftermarket head units are catching up as its just been a couple years now smartphones have integrated life. They have made out of the world leaps and bounds over the prior few years which has forced OEM systems to step it up. Im guessing within the next few years we will see a unit that has a slot to put the phone into, forcing no manual use while driving, therefore controlling everything via the head unit itself with some sort of advanced HUD.
aftermaket units could be so damn awesome, but modern car stereos are either too good or too difficult to swap out. its a shame.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Aftermarket units are that expensive. You can get a brand new Pioneer avh-x2600bt for $225. DVD playback and bluetooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts