Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through all the threads and I am still confused about what to use on the plastic panels.....
I have read good things about lexol but it streaks and it is silicon based...
Then i read a big article about not using silicone base producs on any plastic for it will damage it.... hmmmmm..
I have also heard good things about black something but it makes the plastic black or changes the colors on it or something like that..
my eyes hurt from reading......

Neways, so for the last time I ask this question... What is the best product to use for the plastic panels.......

HOw about the interior? i have heard really good things about the lexol but then again the silicon base thing is buggin me but i really would like to do all I can to protect the car and make it look its best for the longest time possible.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the plastics panels. Actually nothing especially on the roof cladding(stuff runs off). Eventually though you will get scuffs and scratches like door dings. Take a mild solvent like mineral spirits or paint thinner to wipe them off. To dress up the panels and cover up deeper scuffs I use Mothers Back to Black. It darkens a tiny bit by wetting out the finish a bit. It has silicone in it but it is not harmful to plastics. Silicone is more harmful to rubber tires somewhat.

On the inside I use Aerospace 303 protectant. It has full UV protection, dust repellent and not shiny, subtle finish(unless you want shiny). It is not a silicone. Second best would be Lexol Vinylex but it smells to me. Vinylex is probably the best of the silicones. The rest are similar. ArmourAll at the bottom of the list.

I have bought and tried just about every dressing mentioned on this board. The costs still do not add up to the cost of one of the pricey Honda accessories. 8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
On the interior: Lexol Vinylex works great. Next I'll try Aerospace 303 Protectant.

On the exterior plastics: Mothers Preserves Protectant works great. No running or smearing and it does a great job of covering up minor scuffs and scratches. It also adds a 30-day layer resistant to ozone and smog that acts as a UV shielding penetrant. I have yet to use my bottle of Mothers Back-to-Black.

:roll: Ed :idea:

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:2735d60aa9="ropedart"]On the plastics panels. Actually nothing especially on the roof cladding(stuff runs off). Eventually though you will get scuffs and scratches like door dings. Take a mild solvent like mineral spirits or paint thinner to wipe them off. To dress up the panels and cover up deeper scuffs I use Mothers Back to Black. It darkens a tiny bit by wetting out the finish a bit. It has silicone in it but it is not harmful to plastics. Silicone is more harmful to rubber tires somewhat.

On the inside I use Aerospace 303 protectant. It has full UV protection, dust repellent and not shiny, subtle finish(unless you want shiny). It is not a silicone. Second best would be Lexol Vinylex but it smells to me. Vinylex is probably the best of the silicones. The rest are similar. ArmourAll at the bottom of the list.[/quote:2735d60aa9]

I tore up the south end of Dayton, and cannot for the life of me find Mother's Preserves Protectant (most car places carry at least some Mother's stuff, but not much), and nobody had any Aerospace 303 at all.

I'm bummed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm partial to PRO HONDA Spray Cleaner & Polish and an old 100% cotton T-shirt. $8.00 for a 14 oz. can at your Honda Dealer. I was given a can when I bought my E. This stuff is awesome. It takes off bugs, grease, tar and even the gum I ran over. Leaves the panels looking like they did in the showroom. I use it on the painted surfaces and light lenses as well. Really does look great. See the picture of my E in the gallery.
As for the interior, I'm not using a protectant. Puts too much glare on the windshield. I simply wipe own the dash and all the hard surfaces with one Armor All interior wipe. It comes in those plastic jars like "Wet Ones." One wipe will do the whole interior of the vehicle except for the floor. For the floor, I remove the all weather floor mats and get after them with a soft brush and a hose. Then, I vacuum out the inside and wipe it down with a sponge and a bucket of plain water, changing the water until it isn't dirty anymore. I use PRO HONDA Window Cleaner and paper towels on the windows both inside and out. It doesn't leave any streaks and does a great job of cleaning the windows. If I remember correctly, it costs about $3.00 for a 16 oz can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Arrgghh! The streaking!
I used 303 on the panels--looked great for 2 days, then it rained. Now it's all streaky and looks terrible. Especially the part over the door hinges. Am I on a merry go round of applying this stuff? I saturated it pretty well, I just can't figure it out. The same thing's happened about three times.
Help!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
and you thought your simple question would get a simple single, or even predominant, answer. :D :D :D

I am currently using 303 protectant on the plastic panels. I spray it on a rag and wipe it on in areas where I might fear overspray or drips. So far I have used it sparingly and I really like it. VERY subtle, if any change from new appearance and it protects from UV. No problem with streaking in the rain, but maybe using it sparingly helps.

Catch is the only place in the greater Seattle area that carries it is one hot tub place, and they only carry it in the small spray bottles. (I did a dealer search at their site) And that place overcharges for it. I think in the future if it continues to work out, I will buy it in larger quantities directly from the manufacturer at their site, even with their pricey shipping costs.

I really like it for the interior. I am still, at least 10 years later, taking flak for slicking up the interior of my wife's car with armorall. THAT was slimey stuff!

The 303 does NOT leave a "slick" or wet appearance, just a very subtle difference seeming to spruce it up a bit, if anything. Time will tell just how it does in the long run with UV and older plastic. (worked great on our 2000 Honda and not even a comment from my wife....whew!)

So my vote, at the moment is 303 aerospace protectant, inside and out....although I wish it was easier to find!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I found it at an RV place here for under 20 bucks a quart, and 14 bucks for the 16 oz size. Maybe an RV place in Seattle would also carry it. Don't you PNWers have REIs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
At this point, I'm just trying to get it and the streaks off. I scrubbed it this morning and you can still see a little of the streaking.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Seattle

1 Aqua Quip
3447 - 4Th Ave. S.
Seattle, WA 98134
206-624-4394

2 Rei
1525 11Th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122
206-323-8333

3 Valley Freightliner
2401 Airport Way South
Seattle, WA 98134
206-340-8882

4 West Marine #00023
6317 Seaview Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
206-789-4640

5 West Marine #00022
1000 Mercer St
Seattle, WA 98109
206-292-8663

6 Durham Upholstry
803 Lenora St
Seattle, WA 98121
206-682-3500

7 Inflatable Boatworks
101 Nickerson St.
Seattle, WA 98109
206-284-6020

8 Olympic Hot Tub Company
1425 Dexter Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
206-286-0700

9 Olympic Hot Tub Company
12818 Gateway Dr.
Seattle, WA 98168
800-431-2876

10 Ace Hardware #04712
Crown Hill Hdwe
7759 - 15th N W
Seattle, WA 98117

11 Ace Hardware #05279
Magnolia Ace Hdwe
2420-32nd Av W
Seattle, WA 98199

12 Ace Hardware #06071
Home Builders Cntr
1110 W Nickerson Av
Seattle, WA 98119

13 Ace Hardware #07960
The Stewart Lumber Co
1761 Rainier Av
Seattle, WA 98144

·
Registered
18 Posts
While washing my Element with a soft yarn mop, it snagged on my composite fenders at the rear wheel well, front. The surface is defintely abraded from the sand, salt put on the roads here and will become a problem in time. Do you think coating it during the winter months would help? If so, I am asking for recommendations for a spray, liquid or paste with body. I'd canuba wax them but it doesn't work on the panels.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have used a light application of 303 (exterior) on the panels. Seemed to work quite well at first, but today for the first time I did notice drips/streaking on the roof trim. Ugh!!! Obviously being in the Seattle area, it has been exposed to rain.

So much for 303 for the exterior panels anyway! Seems to work GREAT on the tires though and no sign of streaking there.

:cry:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I used 303 on my Element yesterday, and after a light rain this morning, noticed streaking. Rubbing with a paper towel removed much of the streaking. The towel did pick up some dirt. I have used 303 a lot of other times, without really noticing the streaking.

However, the instructions, under fiberglass, do say:
'out of direct sun, spray surface with 303 and wipe comletely dry. If streaking occurs, too much product has been used. Use a wet towel to remove ecess, immediately wipe dry.'

Wiping dry is probably more effective on glossy surfaces than the rough surface of the Element panels.

paulj

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pick up some panel spray protecter at the Honda parts department. I paid 5.00 for 4oz can yesterday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do yourselves a favor a DO NOT use anything on the panels but soap and water. Honda does NOT recommend anything. If you use a spray you will be a slve to it forever.Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 62 Posts