Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the fact that the E is being discontinued. I've read it more than 3 times here today and recently, and when I called all the Honda dealerships I've been in contact with, including the one I was going to buy from, they all confirmed my worst fears...in 2012, the E will no longer be sold.

Due to this I've decided to move onto my next 4 choices (in order):

1) 2010 Ford Escape XLS FWD
2) 2010 Subaru Forester AWD (base SUV)
3) 2010 Nissan Rogue S (base model)
4) 2010 Nissan Cube - krom

It still upsets me they are doing away with the E, but what can I do. I'm a consumer. They're the company.

I know one thing. I'll def. not buy the Free Spike (kinda looks like a mix between a FiT and a Element - really ugly on the outside AND inside - you couldn't even catch me doing a test drive in that thing..).

Oh well...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Over the fact that the E is being discontinued. I've read it more than 3 times here today and recently, and...(blah blah blah)
It still upsets me they are doing away with the E, but what can I do. I'm a consumer. They're the company.

I know one thing. I'll def. not buy the Free Spike (kinda looks like a mix between a FiT and a Element - really ugly on the outside AND inside - you couldn't even catch me doing a test drive in that thing..).

Oh well...
I wasn't even aware of such a thing till you mentioned it here. BTW, it's called "FREED SPIKE" and you're absolutely correct that it's as ugly a design for a new Honda as they could've come up with. It looks like it's burdened with every bad idea that Honda's tossed in the garbage bin and then pulled back out when they needed a new model idea.

:zombie004::angel:1: Too small and lightweight to be safe to drive in traffic. Fuel economy at the expense of driver safety, just like the Fit. (or maybe worse)
:vomit001:2: Honda continues the butt-ugly look with wrap around add-ons.
:balloon:3: Loss of even the Element's amount of durability.
:shock:4: An AWD version with light weight and VERY limited clearance to make driving on snow covered roads a happy fun-fun event. Off road? Don't even think about it.
:evil:5: Scariest thought is that THIS is the kind of thing Honda intends as a replacement for the Element. The ads are promoting it on all of the E's major strong points - even though the accompanying pictures say "FAIL-FAIL-FAIL"
:ban:6: I agree with you. If Honda wants us to "do without" then we certainly can... by doing without Honda.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The only official news about the Element that Honda has released is that they green lighted a new Element model for the near future.

Nowhere have I seen any reliable information about the E being discontinued, and the dealers have no idea about 2012, so that's an unreliable source, especially considering Honda's notoriety about keeping secrets from the dealers until the last second.

People have been saying it was discontinued on this forum for the last 3 years and it keeps coming back. Just wait until you have something reliable and concrete before you start mourning someone that's still alive and kicking! :-D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Over the fact that the E is being discontinued. I've read it more than 3 times here today and recently, and when I called all the Honda dealerships I've been in contact with, including the one I was going to buy from, they all confirmed my worst fears...in 2012, the E will no longer be sold.
You made that up. There's been a lot of speculation on these boards about the fate of the Element in the face of ever-dwindling sales and apparent neglect from Honda, but the only official word is that Honda says they are planning to continue the Element. Whether we believe them or not is entirely a different conversation, but please, don't put words into our mouths.

Also, dealers are right roughly 12 percent of the time. They're typically not getting the ground-level super-secret information. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Had to chime in on what's already being said...

Do NOT go to a dealership for any reliable information regarding vehicles...future, present, or past.

Honda is about the best at keeping their new model line up under wraps. This year is no different...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think the word "discontinued" was being used in the context of "The Element is being redesigned, lighter, smaller, updated". That the next generation Element will be a "modernized version" is supposed to be a quote from Honda VP John Mendel.

I think most of the rest is speculation fueled by the other hideous efforts dumping out of Honda's design labs lately. The original Element X was a stroke of genius but the people they have working there now don't seem to be showing any more of that for future designs. The lines are getting uglier on every model shown and they'll have to meet the new mpg and safety standards too. Either way, the Honda Element that we know and love is coming to an end one way or the other.

[EDIT] After rereading Mendel's interview, I'm curious that he didn't actually SAY that there would be a second generation Element. What he was quoted as saying was "there are good reasons to introduce a modernized version" which is certainly not the same as "We are GOING to introduce a modernized version..." Speculating on the speculation about the vague and unsubstantiated rumor being spread by an official source. hmm...

·
Registered
84 Posts
No changes to Element for 2011

This is according to the September issue of Car & Driver new cars issue. They list all changes for models sold in the US, and note 'dead' or discontinued models. They state the Element will be unchanged.

It isn't going away!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You made that up. There's been a lot of speculation on these boards about the fate of the Element in the face of ever-dwindling sales and apparent neglect from Honda, but the only official word is that Honda says they are planning to continue the Element. Whether we believe them or not is entirely a different conversation, but please, don't put words into our mouths.

Also, dealers are right roughly 12 percent of the time. They're typically not getting the ground-level super-secret information. Just sayin'.
I never made that up. I read that on this site NUMEROUS times. If you go back and read ANY of my posts then you'll see I am in love with this car, but I just don't desire to purchase a car I found out wont be around in a few years. The dealerships all told me as well that the CR-V will be phased out and the CR-Z (whatever that is) will be that main focus along with the Fleet Strike (or whatever it's called...and might I add, that car is hideous as anything - wont buy it...at all).

I understand not all Honda dealerships know whats going on, or even more than most (I had one of the 10 dealerships near me say "Honda doesn't always give us information unless its a couple (which means 1 or 2 for some of you out there) months ahead of time). I know they're not perfect. But they all (except that one) confirmed the E is being phased out. Just like when I went to Nissan after and the guy there mentioned the XTerra will be phased out after this year. Now, why does the CR-V matter? The E runs on the CR-V's engine.

I'm not happy about this xequar, but I did NOT make this up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Due to the impending...

Demise of the E (God I hate saying that...I so wanted to buy one...I'm still having problems getting over the phasing out of the car (and I've already had xequar try torching me and saying I "made it up," when if you look at my posts you'll see that I've been 150% in anticipation of buying an E; I saw the phasing out posts elsewhere first and confirmed it with 8 dealerships (of the 10 near me...the other had no idea about anything yet).

So I've decided to look at more vehicles...

They are the Ford Escape, Hyundai Tucson, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Forester, Nissan Rogue, and Nissan Cube. (the Kia Sorrento is last - not a big Kia fan, but the car is decent). Right now the Forester and Santa Fe lead.

Anyone have either of those cars? Input on them?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it is true my next vehicle will be a Toyota FJ cruiser :) It is so much better for ground clearance and off roading..since there is no good lift for the E, not the mention the lack of power that Honda doesn't plan on changing!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I never made that up. I read that on this site NUMEROUS times. If you go back and read ANY of my posts then you'll see I am in love with this car, but I just don't desire to purchase a car I found out wont be around in a few years. The dealerships all told me as well that the CR-V will be phased out and the CR-Z (whatever that is) will be that main focus along with the Fleet Strike (or whatever it's called...and might I add, that car is hideous as anything - wont buy it...at all).

I understand not all Honda dealerships know whats going on, or even more than most (I had one of the 10 dealerships near me say "Honda doesn't always give us information unless its a couple (which means 1 or 2 for some of you out there) months ahead of time). I know they're not perfect. But they all (except that one) confirmed the E is being phased out. Just like when I went to Nissan after and the guy there mentioned the XTerra will be phased out after this year. Now, why does the CR-V matter? The E runs on the CR-V's engine.

I'm not happy about this xequar, but I did NOT make this up.

*No* Honda Dealers know what is going on until a few months out. That's the way Honda rolls.

But if you can find official documentation, or an email from someone at American Honda - that'd boost the claim.

Until then - it's a hoax.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
big Kia fan, but the car is decent). Right now the Forester and Santa Fe lead.

Anyone have either of those cars? Input on them?
Friend of mine had the Hyundai, liked it a lot... until it nearly killed her when the side curtain air bag exploded ON TOP of her head instead of BEFORE she hit the glass - and broke her neck. The insurance paid off the wreck and she bought a Honda instead - doesn't like Hyundai any more and I don't blame her. It's supposed to have top safety ratings but that one folded up like a cracker box after being hit by a lighter car which was able to drive away.

I like the way the E leaves more space between your head and the side of the vehicle.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts

CRV phased out? Just in the US alone Honda is going to sell 150,000 plus CRVs this year.

Sorry to say but there not an ounce of truth about anything in that statement. The CRV will be all new for 2012 and isn't going any where soon.

The CR-Z is going to be a relatively low volume model that isn't going to replace the CRV.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Who really knows what Honda has on the table for the E in the future.

But after 7 months into the year Honda only sold 8306 Elements. Even the Crosstour is selling better.

At year end they may be lucky to move 15,000.

Not very promising. Thats 15,000 more CRV's that could be coming off the line......

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=914687
There is a number of Element owners that would not buy a CR-V if that was the only choice. As long as Honda can meet the demand for the CR-V and Element from the same line/plant, I'm not sure they'll discontinue it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts