Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This starting get my goat....still no NAV package in the Canadaian 2010 Element. I was considering my 3rd E for 2010....but no way, I wanted the NAV package....any Canucks no what's up with the Canadian models and why we are deprived of the option?

·
12,180 Posts
This starting get my goat....still no NAV package in the Canadaian 2010 Element. I was considering my 3rd E for 2010....but no way, I wanted the NAV package....any Canucks no what's up with the Canadian models and why we are deprived of the option?

We always get left behind. XM is a perfect example I suspect with the EX already over the 30,000 price barrier that Honda figured that with already slims sales that navi would not sell. Same as the dog package. I asked 2 months ago when and if we could get it and i would yold "we are investigating at this time".

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Why do you want to subject yourself to an indash NAV unit? Go head over to the ROC and read how many people are pissed off at Honda for charging them $190 for an UPDATE to the maps! Save yourself the ludicrous cost of the indash NAV and purchase a TomTom or Garmin and take the money saved to also get some good tires.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
12,180 Posts
Why do you want to subject yourself to an indash NAV unit? Go head over to the ROC and read how many people are pissed off at Honda for charging them $190 for an UPDATE to the maps! Save yourself the ludicrous cost of the indash NAV and purchase a TomTom or Garmin and take the money saved to also get some good tires.

It is even worse than that Larry. Navi update discs are on average $355 Canadian and quite honestly getting kicked in the nads is a more pleasant experience than the BS we have to go thru to order one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Forgive me if this is a crazy question, but would it be worthwhile to go to the US to buy an E and then drive it back to Canada?

·
12,180 Posts
Forgive me if this is a crazy question, but would it be worthwhile to go to the US to buy an E and then drive it back to Canada?

Many have done it. The major issues if you are buying new is that you lose your warranty and can't finance a vehicle purchased in another country. For someone paying cash the savings is worth it to a few people.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Ditto that, or get an i-phone. Several full-blown GPS apps for it, including Tom-Tom, Navigon, and iGo.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Have you tried to buy the updated maps for a TomTom?? 140 British pounds....
Doesn't matter which one you get, eventually you'll want to update the maps, and they are only available from the GPS manufacturer...

gpsunderground.com

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Have you tried to buy the updated maps for a TomTom?? 140 British pounds....
Doesn't matter which one you get, eventually you'll want to update the maps, and they are only available from the GPS manufacturer...

gpsunderground.com
Actually yes I have. My TomTom is 4yrs old and I have purchased the updates twice. They now have a really nice deal of $9.95/qtr because they have quarterly updates. The updates work really well. Now with the new TomTom that I just got Rachel, you can update the maps yourself and share the fixes with other people and get their fixes as well. TeleAtlas first confirms what people have discovered before releasing the fixes, etc.

Love the TomTom's, probably going to get a new model for myself. Like I said, mine is 4+ yrs old and getting long in the tooth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. I went with an aftermarket in dash GPS/DVD/Bluetooth system for a fraction of the cost compared to what Honda would ask for if they did offer that option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not a Tom Tom or other aftermarket NAV?
....well for me I like the built in unit and I think the location in the dash on the USA Element is great. I actually had a Tom Tom 2 years ago and found that positioning it was awkward, on the front window it was too far away and it wouldn't mount properly on the dash unless I did a permanent installation which I did not want to do for re-sale/trade in purposes.

The question remains why not at least offer the option to the Canadians and let them decide if it's too expensive or not?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Why not a Tom Tom or other aftermarket NAV?
....well for me I like the built in unit and I think the location in the dash on the USA Element is great. I actually had a Tom Tom 2 years ago and found that positioning it was awkward, on the front window it was too far away and it wouldn't mount properly on the dash unless I did a permanent installation which I did not want to do for re-sale/trade in purposes.

The question remains why not at least offer the option to the Canadians and let them decide if it's too expensive or not?
Like I said in my post. You can get a Double Din permanently mount system like the Pioneer/Eclipse/Kenwood/Innovatek for a fraction of the cost.

My system cost me $300 CAD. I know honda would mark up the system for $2K.

Here is mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK....not bad looking, what about if you sell the E, can you return the dash to the original shape.

·
Registered
349 Posts
OK....not bad looking, what about if you sell the E, can you return the dash to the original shape.
Sure why not? No custom install was done. Remove the aftermarket radio and replace it with the OEM one. You would never know it had an aftermarket deck before. I did no hacking to it. It fit like a glove.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts