Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT- Also wanted to add that I took it to get a pressure test on the whole issue and after 5.5 hours only thing that came back was the AC switch, that would have tested the head gasket as well I assume??

Hello! I am back again with another issue that has been haunting me for almost a year! My 2004 EX runs hot. We have replaced the coolant switch, water pump(2 times), coolant resivior, radiator fan switch, thermostat, and it has been burped for air bubbles several times. Today we did the coolant switch because the diagnosis showed this was the issue, the fan was not turning on. So after replacing the fan finally turned on after idling for a few minutes or getting up to 2-3k rmps. We thought finally all issues were solved! But on a test run up to town the temperature started to climb faster than it has before, this was about a 10 minute drive. Parked at Walmart and cooled for 35 minutes and drove home. 8 minutes in it鈥檚 almost to H and I throw on the heater and it barley lowers back to the middle, the needle stayed right above the middle when generally there heater on makes it go below the middle (which is normal) so now I鈥檓 just stuck. The previous owner did replace the radiator, but could it be clogged? We are tossing up the idea of replacing the condenser now because it does look a little rough. Could the water pump be bad yet again? Accepting any advice 馃檹馃徎

Registered
What? You have two fans in front of the engine. If one is not working you will experience over heating. Sometimes they work but not well when they are dying they will go super slow. You should replace both fans for good measure. I have replaced my AC fan twice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What? You have two fans in front of the engine. If one is not working you will experience over heating. Sometimes they work but not well when they are dying they will go super slow. You should replace both fans for good measure. I have replaced my AC fan twice.
We haven鈥檛 replaced them because they are both working. The radiator fan turns on with the car, the AC fan kicks on after the engine gets heated up. Sitting still idling it doesn鈥檛 heat up and ac does work and blows cold. So the AC fan may be too slow??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello! I am back again with another issue that has been haunting me for almost a year! My 2004 EX runs hot. We have replaced the coolant switch, water pump(2 times), coolant resivior, radiator fan switch, thermostat, and it has been burped for air bubbles several times. Today we did the coolant switch because the diagnosis showed this was the issue, the fan was not turning on. So after replacing the fan finally turned on after idling for a few minutes or getting up to 2-3k rmps. We thought finally all issues were solved! But on a test run up to town the temperature started to climb faster than it has before, this was about a 10 minute drive. Parked at Walmart and cooled for 35 minutes and drove home. 8 minutes in it鈥檚 almost to H and I throw on the heater and it barley lowers back to the middle, the needle stayed right above the middle when generally there heater on makes it go below the middle (which is normal) so now I鈥檓 just stuck. The previous owner did replace the radiator, but could it be clogged? We are tossing up the idea of replacing the condenser now because it does look a little rough. Could the water pump be bad yet again? Accepting any advice 馃檹馃徎
When temperature gets halfway both fans come on

Registered
Dorman 620-233 A/C Condenser Fan Assembly Compatible with Select Honda Models Amazon.com

I would replace this before you try anything else. Yes when A fan motor is dying it may still spin but not be functioning at full capacity. Both radiator fan and AC fan sit in front of the engine. If one is not working right your engine will over heat. This is separate from your in cabin air conditioning. The fan is cheap and easy to replace you don鈥檛 even have to take your bumper off. I did it in less than an hour. Prior to this my engine was overheating in idle. I would replace both fans but it鈥檚 your call. It鈥檚 a process of elimination at this point, doesn鈥檛 sound like you are losing coolant. So this is what I would do.

Registered
Smells like the head gasket to me, sorry to say. If the car idles without overheating, I can't see it being the fans. Water pump - no, again, there is enough coolant flow at idle to not overheat. Plus running the heater does not help. So looks to me like exhaust is getting in the coolant and is heating it up. Not enough exhaust at idle, but once you get going it's too much for the cooling system to cope.

Registered
I would first make sure it is actually getting hot and not just a crazy gauge
While its warm look in the overflow jug and see if you see any bubbles in the coolant. That would indicate exhaust getting into coolant. You can have that tested at any decent shop. They have a dye test
Change the radiator cap

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dorman 620-233 A/C Condenser Fan Assembly Compatible with Select Honda Models Amazon.com

I would replace this before you try anything else. Yes when A fan motor is dying it may still spin but not be functioning at full capacity. Both radiator fan and AC fan sit in front of the engine. If one is not working right your engine will over heat. This is separate from your in cabin air conditioning. The fan is cheap and easy to replace you don鈥檛 even have to take your bumper off. I did it in less than an hour. Prior to this my engine was overheating in idle. I would replace both fans but it鈥檚 your call. It鈥檚 a process of elimination at this point, doesn鈥檛 sound like you are losing coolant. So this is what I would do.
It is definitely a process of eliminating everything. We鈥檝e put a lot of money into it and it鈥檚 over 245k miles. I think I鈥檒l try replacing the fans then.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What exactly was your procedure for 鈥渂urping鈥 the system?
Placing the funnel in the radiator and filling the funnel about half way with coolant, getting into 2k rpm鈥檚 and letting the air bubbles blow out which usually causes most of the overflow to go into the radiator, do this until no more air pushes out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would first make sure it is actually getting hot and not just a crazy gauge
While its warm look in the overflow jug and see if you see any bubbles in the coolant. That would indicate exhaust getting into coolant. You can have that tested at any decent shop. They have a dye test
Change the radiator cap
I鈥檒l be checking again but my dad and I haven鈥檛 seen any yet!

Registered
Smells like the head gasket to me, sorry to say. If the car idles without overheating, I can't see it being the fans. Water pump - no, again, there is enough coolant flow at idle to not overheat. Plus running the heater does not help. So looks to me like exhaust is getting in the coolant and is heating it up. Not enough exhaust at idle, but once you get going it's too much for the cooling system to cope.
But she would be losing coolant if that were the case, right?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is my absolute worst fear ! But I will say we have run tests and the head gaskets have never popped up with problems. I guess we will have to try another ..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts