Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow...months later, & i'm still getting the worst possible gas mileage around town. last fillup: 17.1 mpg.

i only had decent mpg when i was traveling up north, since i was mainly on the highway, but when i'm not doing that (which covers much more of the year than doesn't), i'm getting the worst of the worst... guess the break-in period doesn't go for my element, since i'm getting about the same or worse than i was right at the beginning.

it's been really hot/humid here, so the use of a/c probably affects it a little, but i was told (on here) that it makes very little difference.

i just expected better than 17 mpg! (at this time, i'm carrying nothing in the back either)

i have a feeling it's different depending on where you live, also. i think different climates have different effects, as well as different landscapes. *shrugs*

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 2003 EX AWD a month ago and was disappointed with fuel economy. After inflating tires to 40 psi, putting in fresh 5-20 Honda oil and adjusting my driving style, the mileage has improved dramatically, by approximately 30%. I've discovered that the Element coasts very well. Take your foot off the gas and it glides nicely for some distance. So when I'm driving in the city which is most of the time, I'll give it some gas and just coast to the next traffic light or stop sign.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
EPA specs for a 2010 4WD AT are 19/24/21 (city/highway/combined). So you're within 2 mpg of the spec for city driving. Running the a/c, hills and other local road factors, tire pressure, and of course driving habits, can easily account for the difference.

IIRC it's at highway speeds that running with the a/c on and windows closed is preferable to a/c off, windows open. Around town, the a/c costs a little.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i thought so.. about the a/c on when traveling on the highway.

what about just the back windows open tho?

·
Registered
551 Posts
My bride has been driving the e for a week. Same roads, traffic, operating conditions, A/C on etc. She gets around 2 mpg worse than I do. We beat this subject to death here and as I and many others have said driving gently has more effect on mpg than most anything else.
I'm going to drive from phx to kalispell, MT next week. First long trip in the e and I'm interested to see what interstate-80mph yields.
se

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do drive very "gently"... i don't do fast stops/starts, & try to keep my speed as even as possible.

not sure what else i can possibly do!

well, i'm off for the woods.... will get better mpg there at least.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i do drive very "gently"... i don't do fast stops/starts, & try to keep my speed as even as possible.

not sure what else i can possibly do!

well, i'm off for the woods.... will get better mpg there at least.
City driving will drive down the mpg. Its a 3500+lb and aerodynamically challenged.
se

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My bride has been driving the e for a week. Same roads, traffic, operating conditions, A/C on etc. She gets around 2 mpg worse than I do. We beat this subject to death here and as I and many others have said driving gently has more effect on mpg than most anything else.
I'm going to drive from phx to kalispell, MT next week. First long trip in the e and I'm interested to see what interstate-80mph yields.
se
At 80, you'll get whatever crap mileage you normally get. If you want to do a real mileage test, espeically with the MT, keep it around 65-70, windows closed, and no air con. The E drinks gas at 80 anyway, and the air con is an instant 2 mpg hit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Synthetic oil

Try synthetic oil too. Mobil 1 at Wallymart comes in 5 quart containers at a good price.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I know the mileage will be worse but its a long drive and there are some trout with my name on them up there. If I can save a few hours its worth it, but I'm still curious what the numbers will be.
se

·
Registered
65 Posts
EPA specs for a 2010 4WD AT are 19/24/21 (city/highway/combined). So you're within 2 mpg of the spec for city driving. Running the a/c, hills and other local road factors, tire pressure, and of course driving habits, can easily account for the difference.

IIRC it's at highway speeds that running with the a/c on and windows closed is preferable to a/c off, windows open. Around town, the a/c costs a little.
I always wondered if these figures take account for the alcohol content that is in our gas now. Regular gas has a lot of alcohol in it now and the gov't wants to put in more. (Wants 15%)
I work at a BMW dealership and occasionally the alcohol screws up the fuel system. We have a tester for alcohol content percentage.
One thing I know, it does not get the same mileage as plain gas. And I don't know where to get alcohol free gas here where I live. (FL) All the stations have the alcohol content stickers on the pumps.
We have tested cars that had more than the mandated maximum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After my adjustments, I just squeezed out 400 kms out of 47 liters of regular fuel. That's around 24 mpg, 75% city driving. Much improved from when I first drove it – I was getting 300 kms from the same amount of fuel. Go to factor in the AC though, it was a helluvalot hotter then.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
After my adjustments, I just squeezed out 400 kms out of 47 liters of regular fuel. That's around 24 mpg, 75% city driving. Much improved from when I first drove it – I was getting 300 kms from the same amount of fuel. Go to factor in the AC though, it was a helluvalot hotter then.
I think that's in Imperial Gallons, though. That works out to be around 20.1 US Gallons.

As for the official numbers, I doubt they use gas with 10 percent ethanol in it. Figure you'll have up to a 20 percent decrease in mileage if you're stuck running with it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry, but I'm afraid we just have to accept that the E does not get good fuel economy. I have pretty much the most frugal version (2WD 5SP), run my tires at 40 psi, drive like a granny, and usually have my rear seats removed.

After 5-plus years, my average is 23.3 mpg (US), or 10.2 L/100km in Canadian. (measured very precisely, with all records from new)

By comparison, my 'other car' only gets 20.6 mpg, 11.4 L/100km...but it is an RV that sleeps 4 and has a bathroom.

This is by far my largest disappointment with the E. I expect more from a Honda.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i sure understand that. i think honda really messed up in a few areas with this vehicle (including the mpg & the outlets that don't work when the vehicle's off).

for those of us who don't live in the country or do a ton of highway driving most of the year, it's more painful.

oh well....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry, but I'm afraid we just have to accept that the E does not get good fuel economy. I have pretty much the most frugal version (2WD 5SP), run my tires at 40 psi, drive like a granny, and usually have my rear seats removed.

After 5-plus years, my average is 23.3 mpg (US), or 10.2 L/100km in Canadian. (measured very precisely, with all records from new)

By comparison, my 'other car' only gets 20.6 mpg, 11.4 L/100km...but it is an RV that sleeps 4 and has a bathroom.

This is by far my largest disappointment with the E. I expect more from a Honda.
Compare the Element's real world gas mileage to other "box shaped" small SUV/Light Truck vehicles in the same weight class. I also own a 2005 Mercury Mariner AWD, so can easily compare it to the two 2005 Element EX AWD's that we own. The Mariner averages 22 mpg on the highway. I get 21 mpg on the highway with my Elements going 75-80 mph, and up to 25 if I drive the speed limits. Can't haul as much in the Mariner though and it is less versatile.

You have to drop down to a smaller, less versatile SUV to get better mileage. But we all knew that going into our purchase, right? If not - shoddy research is the only thing to blame. Not Honda.

LeadFoot

1 - 20 of 22 Posts