Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 EX, Nighthawk Black Pearl, MT, 175k mi
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I noticed recently that there was an odd power surge or power dip going on with my E.

When idling and the lights are on low beam (that's how I did my test), the car idles like normal for about 40 seconds, then loses a little bit of power (that's the 'dip') and the lights/guages dim, but then gradually (1-2 seconds later) return to normal brightness.
Other items to note, I didn't run the A/C, but rather just the fan, mid-speed, and mid-heat. The radio wasn't even on.

I put a stopwatch to it, here are 4 intervals I tracked:
39.8 s
39.1 s
38.8 s
38.1 s

Hence, my conclusion that this "dip" in power in the electrical system happens every 40 seconds.

Anybody else experience that in there Element? If you haven't tried it, please just take note and see if it happens to you....

I'd like to hear your ideas on what you think it might be....any help is appreciated!!!

-S

·
Registered
203 Posts
it's the radiator fan kicking on and off. The battery and alternator can't keep up with the load. This has been an issue since day one with elements. Battery and alternator are weak.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you noticed that then it's only a matter of time till you notice that when traveling at lower speeds when you let off the accelerator the lights will dim and surge, sometimes triggering the classic A-hole response from oncoming drivers who must drive with their ape fingers permanently attached to the high beam switch.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I noticed it on mine the other day. I was parked with the engine running and the daytime running lights were shining on a building. I figured it was probably the engine cooling fan kicking on and off. I've never noticed it when driving.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Most likely the Fan, however it could still be the A/C compressor. Whether the A/C is turned on or not, if you have it on defrost, the compressor will cycle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! Thanks for all of the responses!! Much appreciated..
I'll take a peek at that TSB as well!! (I knew I wasn't the only one.. ;) )

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See TSB 05-034, "Headlights Dim or DTC P1298 Is Stored in the ECM/PCM"
Is there a newer version of this service bulletin that pertains to 2008 models or would the dealership honor this one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts