Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2008 honda element and it had no radio. I just picked up a used stock one from a 2003 element. I entered the code the guy gave me and it turns on and looks like everything works but the volume is so low you really cant hear it. I mean very low like you have to put your ear to speakers at full blast. Am I doing everything correct ? Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well the LX and EX model radios were very different the EX one has a separate amplifier and no internal amp at all. It sounds like you got one from an EX and installed it into an Element with no external amp. I’m not sure when they did away with the external amp in the newer EX models. If so you would need to buy an amp to power the speakers. Might be better to install an aftermarket unit

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 2008 honda element and it had no radio. I just picked up a used stock one from a 2003 element. I entered the code the guy gave me and it turns on and looks like everything works but the volume is so low you really cant hear it. I mean very low like you have to put your ear to speakers at full blast. Am I doing everything correct ? Any help would be great. Thank you.
Adge is right. I will however add one IMPORTANT addition: If you do go the aftermarket route, just remember that your antenna does require the power to get to it in order to amplify the signal. If you cut off the stock antenna plug and install and common "Motorola" plug for the aftermarket radio, you will lose reception especially on AM. FM will work but only if you are in a city and not too far from the transmitter. If you just listen to MP3s, Podcasts or bluetooth your phone, your ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the LX and EX model radios were very different the EX one has a separate amplifier and no internal amp at all. It sounds like you got one from an EX and installed it into an Element with no external amp. I’m not sure when they did away with the external amp in the newer EX models. If so you would need to buy an amp to power the speakers. Might be better to install an aftermarket unit
Thanks for this post. I too am looking for a used/refurbished OME radio for my 2008 Element LX. I live in the country with no AM reception and only two local FM stations. The E replaced a 2007 Mercury Mariner that got great reception both AM and FM. I had a Pioneer radio installed thinking it would improve the reception but it is the same. I do not have the original radio that came with the E when new. There are some used E radios on the web for sale, but how will I know if it is the one for my E? Is there a serial number portion that identifies the model? The listing provides a year range but does not name the model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts