·
Registered
20 Posts
They're 16x16.5.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ElementCyclist, do you happen to know the offset too? I've searched, but can't find it anywhere.
Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
The bolt pattern is 5-114.3.
You've stumped me on the offset though. I can't find it anywhere.
How come you need to know it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a very important number to have if you ever want to buy aftermarket wheels. When you see cars with the tires sticking way out the sides or they have rubbing problems with suspension pieces, it's because they have the incorrect offset.

I'm just curious what sort of wheel options are out there. I know that Rota makes a ton of light weight wheels for other Honda models and wanted to check out what they have for the E.

Do you happen to know the weight on the stock wheels? That can make a huge difference on a car with relatively low HP and torque.

For every pound you save on a wheel it equals 10 pounds of balast. Therefore if the stockers are 19 lbs and you can find an aftermarket set that weigh 15 lbs each, it's equal to reducing the vehicle's weight by 160 lbs. Of course this can vary slightly depending on if the weight is lost more towards the hub instead of the outer portion of the wheel.

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ElementCyclist - The offset number is sometimes stamped on the wheel. I'm guessing it's somewhere between 50 and 30.

Here's a link to some of the Rota wheels in case you're interested.

http://www.revolutionsmotorsports.com/en-us/dept_9.html

The Slipstream version runs about 13 lbs each for a 16X7 (I'm guessing you could fit that on the E). There are a ton of colors and other styles too.

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ElementCyclist - I just saw your other post wih the pics. Those wheels look very nice 8) in black and the offset looks perfect in the pictures.

I don't even have my E yet, but I'm probably going to stay with 16's and get some meatier tires. I'm hoping to lose some weight in the wheels so bigger tires won't make as much of a difference to the suspension, braking and acceleration.

Since you're a cyclist, you probably know all that about wheel weights and effort to turn and stop that weight :D

I must say, the bigger wheel lower profile tire is sweet lookin'. Did you notice any decrease in acceleration times? Do you happen to know the weigh of the wheels alone and the wheels and tires together?

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
20 Posts
OneEyeJack - The E can actually support lots of different wheel/tire size combos because it has a pretty big wheel well. I have 18s and pretty big tires, and still have plenty of space in there.

You're right, being a cyclist I know all about the importance of rotational weight, but I'll be honest, when I was wheel/tire searching my main goal was looks. I love my E, but I'll be the first to admit that it's definitely not a performance auto. Nothing about it was ever meant to be fast. You could spend a lot of time and money trying to make it faster (lighter wheels, intake, headers... eventually someone will super or turbo charge it), but why bother? At the end of the day if you had saved the money you spent trying to make it faster, you could have simply bought a faster car! I dunno, just my opinion! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ElementCyclist - I'm not worried about fast either, at least not on this vehicle. I'm actually getting rid of my '02 WRX so it's going to be quite a change. At least my wife has a Miata to help with my withdrawals from zippin' around or autocrossing. I'm just thinking lighter weight for fuel economy, ride comfort and braking advantages.

Also, those rota wheels are really cheap and have been proven to be pretty tough. You can pick up a set for about 500 - 700$ shipped depending on which style.

I'm looking to keep the wheels at 16" and get some tires more geared towards off road. When there is less unsprung mass a vehicle with relatively low power just works better all around.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
ElementCyclist said:
OneEyeJack - The E can actually support lots of different wheel/tire size combos because it has a pretty big wheel well. I have 18s and pretty big tires, and still have plenty of space in there.
your tires (in this sig) are only .8" larger in diameter than stock.

I didn't see a mention of your offset. That makes a difference when fitting wider tires.

The stock offset, as stamped on the DX steel wheels, is 45mm.

paulj

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
OneEyeJack said:
I'm looking to keep the wheels at 16" and get some tires more geared towards off road. When there is less unsprung mass a vehicle with relatively low power just works better all around.
In 'off-road' situations I'd worry more about toughness of the wheel, and the size of the wheel openings, rather than its weight. Of course, I got the steel DX wheels, and have no interest in getting anything fancier.

There was a case, some time ago, in which stick got caught in an Element's front wheel, and damaged the steering control arm. The owner blamed some weakness in the Element's design. I suspect it was a combination of a freak accident, the relatively unique geometry of the Element's steering gear (high), and the large openings in his after market wheels.

paulj

1 - 15 of 15 Posts