Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I had the worst car buying experience of my life at the Honda dealership yesterday, I'm happy to announce that I am a proud father of a new 2009 Honda Element EX 4WD (AT). As one fellow EOC member said, "It ain't real until the pictures are posted..."

Here it is! Add-ons include Roof Rack, Tailgate Spoiler, Custom Carpet (from South Coast Accessories), Splash Guards (on the way)......

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Great looking ride!! Welcome to the EOC! :D

Drew:)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
SWEET!!! Congrats! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
congrats. dare i ask what made your experience so painful?(i hate dealing with dealers too)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Beautiful! Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BurnoutX,

I'll try to sum up my horrible buying experience without getting too long-winded, but it'll be hard because that's how I write. :D

(Btw, I've rewritten this 3 times because I had WAY too many things to say.)

Here are the highlights of my nightmare:

- I was misquoted on the price of the Element and wasn't notified until the day before my purchase when I called the dealer for confirmation and asked for something in writing. My stupid salesman told me that he quoted me for an manual instead of an automatic. (That changed the purchase price by a few hundred dollars.)
- The salesman also told me that my clunker would be considered a trade-in and would get deducted BEFORE taxes. I later found out that since I was registering the truck in Jersey (as opposed to PA), that the $4,500 would get taken off AFTER taxes. That's another few hundred in taxes.
- At this point, you may wonder why didn't I just walk out of the dealer? Well, the reason was because I was lucky to make it there alive in the first place in my '95 Ford Explorer. Honestly, it almost blew up on me. The transmission was shot and when I went to go put in park, it kicked into gear and almost went through the showroom window. So there was no way I was leaving that day without a new car.
- Keep in mind that this was TWO Saturdays ago and about an hour and a half away from my house in Jersey. I was at the dealer for almost 5 and 1/2 hours before I even got to see this Element. I did all the negotiating and discussions over the phone and was buying this truck sight unseen.
- When the retarded salesman drove my truck out and handed me the key, I sat in the car for no more than 10 seconds and noticed the fugliest trim surrounding the dash and armrests. I said, "WTF is this sh*t? I thought this was a base EX." (He never mentioned this to me over the phone. It was REALLY ugly.) The salesman looked at me with a blank face and said, "Uh, I didn't see this on the addendum." I told him, "Sorry man, I'm not taking this truck. I can't look at this every day. And I don't want you guys to just rip off the trim and give it back to me. This is not what we agreed upon."
- He looked like he just shat himself. It was one mess up after another. I was Pissed. However, I still had to play it smooth because in my mind, there was no way in hell I was taking that Explorer back home.
- So they said that they'd have to locate another Black EX 4WD AT (minus the fugly trim). They gave me a loaner (2008 Orange Element) to take home until they got me the right one. I left PA and headed back to Jersey.
- A week later (this past Friday), the stupid salesman calls me and tells me that everything is all set for tomorrow (Sat) and that I would be his first priority. The roof rack was installed, the tailgate spoiler was added, and the Simonize almost complete. I said, "What do you mean...almost complete?" He says, the detailers started to Simonize it, and it would be done by the time I would arrive in the morning.
Obviously, this sounded very shady. Why would the detailers only do it half-way? I'll tell you why later.
- When I arrived this past weekend, I saw my salesman trying to ruin someone else's dream of purchasing a new car. He came up to me and said that I was third in line. I said, "Are you kidding me? Can I just sign the papers and go?" He tells me that there's not much for him to do other than show me the car. The rest is up to finance. I was told to please be patient and that I'd be done shortly.
- When I asked him to see the truck, he told me it was parked on the side of the building. I went outside and took one look at the car and could tell that nothing was done to the exterior other than a stupid car wash. There was NO Simonize and still some of the sticky crap left from the protective plastic on top of the roof.
- When I approached my salesman and told him that I wasn't paying for the non-existent Simonize, he admitted that they didn't finish the job. He said, "Oh, they put it on but forgot to buff it out." I said, "Forgot to buff it out?" Why would they do something like that? Honestly, I don't think they did anything at all."
- My loser salesman tells me that they were short-handed and says he'll "fix it." Then he disappears for about an hour while I'm there waiting....and waiting. I later find out that he was outside buffing it himself. You may think I would be sympathetic and grateful at this point, but that actually got me more pissed. Why is HE doing it? Shouldn't it be a professional or someone who's specialized to do this "Simonize"? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I paid a decent amount of change for this Simonize.
- Anyways, let me wrap this up. Sorry for dragging this on. After he finished buffing the truck, I waited for the finance department to finalize my paperwork. There was only one finance person working today. You would figure with the popularity of the CFC program, that they'd have more staff on hand. But of course not. So I waited...and waited...and waited. By this time, 4 and 1/2 hours had passed and I wanted to kick someone in the nuts.
- I finally got my truck at around 2:30pm (I arrived at 9:15am). In between the 2 days, I spent about 10 and half hours there before I got my truck. I'm not even going to go into the story about how the finance manager tried to rip me off by selling me a 3rd party extended warranty when I had already gotten a cheaper quote from another Honda dealer for a Honda care warranty for the same terms and conditions.
To be quite frank, this is only about 60% of the things that went wrong for me. I don't want to drag this on. I'd rather talk about upgrades, accessories and see pictures of your Elements.
Again, sorry for being so long-winded. I feel much better now. :smile:
I'll never bring this stuff up again on the EOC....unless someone asks me to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
BurnoutX,

Shouldn't it be a professional or someone who's specialized to do this "Simonize"? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I paid a decent amount of change for this Simonize.

Maybe you just learned something I have made my car buying Credo.."never buy anything but "the car" from a dealership!

No "wax jobs", tints, warranties, floor mats, etc... These are better and/or cheaper some where else!

My wife worked at a dealership where the Prep Crew placed their power buffers "face down" on the gravel when they took their lunch.....These are the "professionals" you wanted to do your wax job?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts