Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site, and I had a kiwi metallic '08 element. I live in a good neighborhood of Tucson, Arizona, and on Monday morning I woke up to my car being gone from in front of my house.

They didn't even have to break a window to get in. No alarms went off, and my dogs didn't even bark at them.

After talking to the dealers around town, I found out that the elements don't come with alarms!

Be careful! Get gap insurance, and if you have a garage, keep your car in it!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Okay, no broken glass, no noise (no valet key in the glove box???) .... pro's.

Hondas come with a security feature - the engine will not start without the individual code signal from YOUR key(s) being in the ignition. Can't be hot-wired, can't use a knock-off cut key. Has to have the individually programmed chip in the key coded for just THAT vehicle sending the ok signal.

So it was either towed/pushed away, or someone at your Dealership is involved -'cause they had a key.

Had this happening in El Paso a few years ago. Someone would buy a new vehicle, and a few days/weeks later it would vanish. Cops found out a prep mechanic at the Dealership was taking down the purchaser address info, ordering a duplicate-pre-coded key from the factory for those cars (which only Dealerships can do), and selling the keys and info to a ring of car thieves. In fact for a while, the thieves were placing "orders" for what they wanted to steal with the guy. :mad:

Cops got wise after noticing a LOT of new cars coming from one Dealership were being reported stolen, started investigatiing at the Dealership, found all the "lost key" orders, and tracked them to this one mechanic.

·
Registered
859 Posts
did you just buy your E? if so i would go after the dealership.ive heard some shady storys about chapman honda, so if you bought your E there my suspicion would lie with them. like others have said, it was either a inside job or you got nabbed by pros with a tow truck.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Did you miss a payment? It sounds like a repo job to me.

Hondas come with a security feature - the engine will not start without the individual code signal from YOUR key(s) being in the ignition. Can't be hot-wired, can't use a knock-off cut key. Has to have the individually programmed chip in the key coded for just THAT vehicle sending the ok signal.

So it was either towed/pushed away, or someone at your Dealership is involved -'cause they had a key.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Did you miss a payment? It sounds like a repo job to me.
Interesting....
When my son kiddo went to buy his E, I went with him to co-sign.
We filled out paperwork there to get the payment deducted from his bank account automatically.
1 month later I got a call from the finance company saying payment wasn't made. I called him and he called the bank, dealership and finance company. everyone placed the blame on everyone else.
We got it settled real quick.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
did your dealer TELL you your e came with a OEM alarm?
This is prob only the 4-5 time I've heard of a stolen e...

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
yep. elements r very easy to steal. just look at the door lock. it is pretty easy to steal some panels off elements too. knowing how the element is built just allows u to see how easily people can take parts if not all away from u.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
but how many people WANT an e? Honda only sells maybe 2k of them a month, not like the hundreds of thousands of civics and accords. It's not like you can pop the panels and put them on a cr-v. Thieves want my 91 accord more than my e--hotwiring is easier than towing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let me hijack this thread for a moment...

Back in the fall of 2004, I had the opportunity to witness what I'd call professional car thieves steal an Escalade EXT from our parking lot at work.

We were at break, looking out over the parking lot when we saw a flatbed truck come through the exit of the parking lot, with it's bed already tilted. He quickly backed up to the Escalade and two guys jumped out. One hooked up a cable to the front of the Escalade and the other jumped up on the flatbed. They must of had some type of "supercharged" tugger because the Escalade was roughly dragged onto the flatbed in a matter of seconds. The person riding on the flatbed pulled some type of a tarp over the Escalade. Just then the radio playing in the breakroom lost it's reception and was just static.

A number of us started to call site security, but the truck left the parking lot before they answered. The radio reception came back when they were out of the parking lot, out of site.

Follow-up investigation showed:
1) A large delivery truck parked right in front of the parking lot security camera right before the theft occurred. One of the parking lot guards was dispatched to get him to move (distraction #1).
2) About the same time a "nice-looking" young lady pulled up to the parking lot guard shack to ask directions. The guard was talking to her evidently when we tried to call him (could be distraction #2?)
3) Some of the people in the area were interviewed after the theft and reported seeing someone prop the exit gate open with a 2x4, just as a car was leaving the lot. They didn't think it was extraordinary at the time because that's how the service people worked on it when it malfunctioned. Another guard was evidently dispatched to investigate when the main guardhouse received a "failure to close" alarm on that gate but called the guard back (assuming it was a false alarm) when it cleared in a little more than a minute when they knocked the 2x4 out when they sped out the back gate.

They never found the Escalade and none of us got any description of the truck beyond a "light-colored truck with at least two guys in it".

I was actually impressed with how fast they got in, hooked and dragged the truck on the flatbed and got away. After that, I made sure I parked my vehicle in a crowded portion of the lot that wasn't easily (and quickly) accessible.

Site security procedures were also reviewed and the parking lot exit was relocated so it was adjacent to the entrance.

(Hijack off, back to your regular discussion...:D)

JB

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
but how many people WANT an e? Honda only sells maybe 2k of them a month, not like the hundreds of thousands of civics and accords. It's not like you can pop the panels and put them on a cr-v. Thieves want my 91 accord more than my e--hotwiring is easier than towing.
Like I said, engine & drivetrain. K24A block is useful in MANY other Honda models. Transmission is same as CR-V and a lot of other Honda models. Rest of drivetrain is shared with CR-V. Lots of market for that. The rest of it? Just gravy, sell it for what you can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
524 Posts
Had this happening in El Paso a few years ago. Someone would buy a new vehicle, and a few days/weeks later it would vanish. Cops found out a prep mechanic at the Dealership was taking down the purchaser address info, ordering a duplicate-pre-coded key from the factory for those cars (which only Dealerships can do), and selling the keys and info to a ring of car thieves. In fact for a while, the thieves were placing "orders" for what they wanted to steal with the guy. :mad:

Cops got wise after noticing a LOT of new cars coming from one Dealership were being reported stolen, started investigatiing at the Dealership, found all the "lost key" orders, and tracked them to this one mechanic.
how many years ago? I lived there from 01 to 08 and hadn't heard about it, I know it didn't happen at the Honda dealer I worked for. The only other Honda dealer in town bought the franchise in 01 from the same family that I worked for.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Like I said, engine & drivetrain. K24A block is useful in MANY other Honda models. Transmission is same as CR-V and a lot of other Honda models. Rest of drivetrain is shared with CR-V. Lots of market for that. The rest of it? Just gravy, sell it for what you can.
Yup, damn kids and their K-swaps.

Sorry for your misfortune. Here's to hoping they never find it and you can just get another one. You prolly don't want this one back.:-(

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
how many years ago? I lived there from 01 to 08 and hadn't heard about it, I know it didn't happen at the Honda dealer I worked for. The only other Honda dealer in town bought the franchise in 01 from the same family that I worked for.
Lived there '86 to '96. Happened in the early '90s, if I remember right. Wasn't at a Honda Dealer - Chevy - going after high-end stuff. Suburbans, Camy's, and a 'Vette or two. Dealership kept it real hush-hush - didn't want to put off customers I guess (or be sued). Guy in our Guard unit was also a Cop, and part of the investigation.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's exactly why I don't use E-bay, ever, I just don't trust people on the internet except you guys of course.:rolleyes:
Almost all the Element's parts have a vin sticker on them. Unfortunately the criminals have the technology to literally "peel" the stickers right off. So don't buy from someone who is unwilling to let you track the vin on their parts, they are undoubtedly stolen.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lived there '86 to '96. Happened in the early '90s, if I remember right. Wasn't at a Honda Dealer - Chevy - going after high-end stuff. Suburbans, Camy's, and a 'Vette or two. Dealership kept it real hush-hush - didn't want to put off customers I guess (or be sued). Guy in our Guard unit was also a Cop, and part of the investigation.
ahh, yeah way before my time.

There was a nice theft ring going on for awhile in late 90's where the gang would steal 3 or 4 cars. use one to smash through the vehicles put up as blockers across the entrances, and drive the other's off.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
ahh, yeah way before my time.

There was a nice theft ring going on for awhile in late 90's where the gang would steal 3 or 4 cars. use one to smash through the vehicles put up as blockers across the entrances, and drive the other's off.
Yeah, El Paso was (is still?) the auto-theft capital of the country. Easy drive into Mexico, and the Mexican side would let them all in (for a fee). When I was there, a Bank Manager had his ride stolen, nice custom pickup, was at a meeting in Juarez a month later, and spotted it - with the Juarez Chief of Police driving it. :grin:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah, El Paso was (is still?) the auto-theft capital of the country. Easy drive into Mexico, and the Mexican side would let them all in (for a fee). When I was there, a Bank Manager had his ride stolen, nice custom pickup, was at a meeting in Juarez a month later, and spotted it - with the Juarez Chief of Police driving it. :grin:
Yeah, it got much much better. Over the 7 years we had 2 cars stolen and a set of seats out of a SI.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts