Honda Element Owners Club banner

Stolen Antenna?

9K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  bcojoe 
#1 ·
OK, I have had my E for 1 month and the antenna has been stolen twice. IS anyone else having a problem with this? By the way, a new one costs about 26 bucks from the dealer. I picked 2 more up today. :(

#2 ·
What's the world coming to? I'll bet the social retard doing this would also steal a wheelchair or a white cane. No one's bothered mine, but then again the day is young. I sincerely hope that whomever is doing this has met their quota for E antennas and leaves you and your new antenna(s) in peace.

#4 ·
Somone mentioned using LocTite before to make it much harder to remove.

See this link for more info. Also, i seemt o remember a dab of nail polish on the threads has somewhat of the same effect.

Iskie

#5 ·
This is the same antenna used on the S2000. VW and Toyota owners are always on the prowl to "upgrade" their antenna to the "cool" Honda antenna, at no charge.

I can pick up my favorite local stations just fine without an antenna, so I have it removed. A stubby little rubber bumper is put in it's place. The stereo is best enjoyed playing CD's anyway.

On the S2000, I did the same thing. But usually the radio is off anyway: I'm listening to the engine... :)

#6 ·
This method may be a bit extreme - but you could a small dab of J.B. Weld on the threads. This will make it very difficult to steal your aerial, but also it could make it difficult to remove if it has to be removed for some reason. I guess it just depends on how much you hate getting your aerial stolen.

#7 ·
Just remember that when you put a thread lock on the antenna, the thief will just work harder to remove it, this might mean more damage to your car than a $15 antenna.

#9 ·
[quote:93520f80f6="Einstein"]This is the same antenna used on the S2000. VW and Toyota owners are always on the prowl to "upgrade" their antenna to the "cool" Honda antenna, at no charge.[/quote:93520f80f6]

As a VW and Element owner I resent that remark. I know quite a few VeeDubbers who have purchased the S2000 antenna from Honda parts departments legit!

when I saw the stubby antenna on the E, I knew this would be an issue though. I was kinda hoping that being up so high it would discourage theft a bit.

#10 ·
I don't resent my comment, I feel it was quite justified based on the number of thefts of s2000 owners, combined with the number of web home pages that show the Honda antenna (Just go to any search engine and type in "S2000 antenna") They are also sold on ebay. There is no upgrade available on the S2000 antenna, so evidently there is a gray market for this product because it isn't S2000 owners selling them.

[quote:c8eedc169d="psm0110"][quote:c8eedc169d="Einstein"]This is the same antenna used on the S2000. VW and Toyota owners are always on the prowl to "upgrade" their antenna to the "cool" Honda antenna, at no charge.[/quote:c8eedc169d]

As a VW and Element owner I resent that remark. I know quite a few VeeDubbers who have purchased the S2000 antenna from Honda parts departments legit!

when I saw the stubby antenna on the E, I knew this would be an issue though. I was kinda hoping that being up so high it would discourage theft a bit.[/quote:c8eedc169d]

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
dam. my element became a victim last week too. i hear that some guys steal the stubby antennas to replace their tiny dinga-lings so they can feel more confident and less awkward in social situations. i take solice in my belief that karma pays everybody their due. i do not want to become a victim again so i will paint my new antenna pink, if you see a bastard with a pink dinga-ling, call me...

#14 ·
hey guys...
Thanks for the diligence in raising the dead....
It's nice to search, and read the old posts, but lets be careful when replying to them....:rolleyes:

BTW, Hello and Welcome vanographics...nice first post:cool:

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Why is it taboo to reply to an old thread?

First off, ditto on the excellent post, Vanographics!

Now, Tim... Please explain the admonition regarding replying to old posts. I mean, seriously I would be curious to know what is behind that. I'm not trying to be a jerk by asking. I've read the terms of agreement. I've browsed the FAQ and saw no topic in the "General Forum Usage" section or "Reading and Posting Messages" section that would seem to instruct us against resurrecting old posts. If it is there and I missed it, please provide a link. I could have missed it. If it's not, then please explain... Is it just "understood"... an unwritten rule? All of the replies were on topic, except your comment about raising an old thread from the dead (and now my reply to that). And I'm not being critical of you for saying it... Many others would have said the same thing but with a hateful tone to it (You only used the subtlety of the sarcastic rolling eyes smiley). But I'm only saying that those who replied in 2008 were on topic, so what difference does it make if the topic is 5 years old? I'd imagine there are still theft problems 5 years later. Even those who replied directly to the o.p. (who hasn't been around since 2003, but we all make mistakes) provided info or humor, and if anything, added to the topic.

Also, I am not multilingual... I don't read smiley. If there are English subtitles (like with the sarcastic one when I hover over it with my mouse), I can understand. Is the one that you added as an attachment stabbing a thread? If so, I get it. Well.... I still don't get it. But I mean that I comprehend what he is doing.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

joe

#16 ·
replace your antenna with a taser. the next time he grabs it will also be the last time his heart beats. :)

#29 ·
Replacement Antennae Option

Einstein:

I've had my S2000 antennae ripped off as well. I really don't use the radio but having the threads in the antennae base showing just doesn't seem right (plus think of all the wind resistance :)

You mentioned using a rubber plug to seal yours off - any suggestions on where to find the plug?

FYI, I also have an Element so I just swapped that antennae to S2000 since very few people are tall enough to notice!

#30 · (Edited)
Einstein:

I've had my S2000 antennae ripped off as well. I really don't use the radio but having the threads in the antennae base showing just doesn't seem right (plus think of all the wind resistance :)

You mentioned using a rubber plug to seal yours off - any suggestions on where to find the plug?

FYI, I also have an Element so I just swapped that antennae to S2000 since very few people are tall enough to notice!

First, welcome to the EOC forum. I've only been here for a short time myself. You need to update your profile so we know where you are at and what model/year/color E you have.

When you are replying to a specific person, and their original post is from quite some time ago, it's best if you click on their username, and look for all of their posts. The one at the top will be the most recent. I just checked, and Einstein last posted over 3 years ago. I only point that out, because you addressed your question directly to him.

I haven't had my antenna off, but I'm assuming that the threads that are exposed are male threads coming up out of the base? I know you were joking about wind resistance, but I still took from that that there are male threads sticking up out of the base, rather than female threads in the base. My suggestion would be to go to Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, or whatever your favorite mega-hardware store is. In the aisle with the nuts, bolts, and fasteners, look in the drawers that slide out. They usually have the hardened bolts, metric bolts, SS bolts, etc., in these drawers. There are also a few drawers with odd , specialty fasteners and items. Those few drawers are where I think you might find what you need. I think they will have some sort of rubber "cap", or "hood", or whatever you'd call it, that will fit snugly over the exposed threads.

If it is female threads in the base, you can do the same thing by buying a bolt that is threaded on both ends. If you have any old car stereos laying around, look on the back side of them for the support bolt. If it is there, take it out. Most of them are this type of bolt, threaded on both ends, with a rubber cap on them to go in the hole inside your dashboard. If you were lucky enough that the threads were the same as your antenna, you could use that, then put the rubber "boot" (cap, hood....) on it as described before.

I guess it might have been quicker for me to just go out and take my antenna off, then only address the correct scenario!

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.