Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.
It was bound to happen. Drove to Las Vegas to a friend's house to try to find a job. Been here maybe a couple of weeks. This morning, I was heading to a job interview and when tried to start the car heard that awful, recognisible noise when the cat is absent. Got off the car, looked underneath and, surely, the CAT and air sensors were gone. I'm the original owner. This is an 03 Element with 149k miles. Just changed fluids (oil, trans fluid, break fluids, coolant, etc) in CA before heading here, new battery, replaced the dashboard comp, also just replaced brakes and it has newer tires. Don't have money for a new car but hoping you guys could tell me if you believe I could get some decent money with which to buy a used car (thinking of a Corolla) or should I try to fix it. My mechanic says to replace it with an aftermarket one bec thieves will leave it along ASA they see it's not EOM. Is that true? Thank you for any guidnce you may provide.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll do that. I've been looking at used cars and what it's offered for what they ask it is just not worth it. What brand shield do you reco? Thanks again.

· Registered
No Element yet
14 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Your Element is still low mileage so definitely worth the fix. I like the idea of a protection to the next cat because they aren't really picky or probably smart enough to not take the aftermarket one. I like the Cat Clamp that is a cage of cables. It doesn't make noise and doesn't cause heat issues. It also is intimidating for cutting with a battery powered reciprocating saw. The saw can have trouble with the cables moving. ALSO...stencil the initials of your main police department with hi temp paint on it as well as engraving your vin.

Reactions: marsdriver

· Registered
11 Posts
I had my 2006 Element cat stolen several months ago. I have 203,000 miles on it. Accept for deductible, my comprehensive coverage covered all the repairs. Total bill about $2800. Insurance would not go for the Honda Element cat because of cost. If they used all Honda parts it was going to be about another $1400. Seems to be okay. MPG seems to be less now.

· Registered
2004 EX AWD AT
33 Posts
After the cat was stolen from my E, someone tried to cut off the new aftermarket one. My cat antitheft device prevented that, but the maroon also cut into the sensor cables, so the sensors were replaced- again. Thieves are bold but dumb.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you plan to register it in CA at any point, the cat will need to be CARB compliant for that particular engine.
edit:
Here is handy site: 3HNXV02.45BP Test Group / Engine Family Honda Emissions
The page that loads is for a particular engine family, I think it was 2003, but you should be able to find compliant cats, by poking around.
Oh fudge, I've should've waited for more answers...I think I screwed up bec, yes, am goingback to SoCal and smog will be due in March sometime. Already spent $500 on an aftermarket one but don't know what the mechanic bought. My fault. Shoot!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you plan to register it in CA at any point, the cat will need to be CARB compliant for that particular engine.
edit:
Here is handy site: 3HNXV02.45BP Test Group / Engine Family Honda Emissions
The page that loads is for a particular engine family, I think it was 2003, but you should be able to find compliant cats, by poking around.
Thanks for this. My mech place a new one but don't know hich brand or if he was careful to put one for Calif CARB compliant. I think am gonna need to redo it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts