Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
585 affected units, shift cable not seated correctly at the shift lever, could cause vehicle to not be in the indicated gear, not shift into or out of park or allow the key to be removed.

Customer mailing to begin 8/9/2010.

the VIN list I have is too dis-jointed to post, as it lists the vehicles according to the dealerships who received them.

Wait for a mailing, or check your VIN on Honda's Owner Link website.

That is all.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just saw the news about the recall over at Autoblog.

Element owners with questions or concerns can contact Honda at: 1-800-999-1009

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
According to the dealer, The linkage on the standard shift was the wrong type for the Element. So the shift cable is the wrong length.

TAKE THAT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

Hopefully one of our resident sources will give us the real reason.

Dom

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
This should set the record straight as to the affected vehicles. This is right from one of Hondas own news sites.

http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5571

08/06/2010 - TORRANCE, Calif. -
Honda will recall 585 Element vehicles from the 2010 model year in the U.S. to reset the automatic transmission shift cable. Honda has received a small number of customer complaints related to the gear selector mechanism, but no incidents or injuries have been reported.
During vehicle assembly, some shift cables were not installed correctly, and over time the cable may become partially disconnected. As a result, a driver may move the gear shift lever but the transmission may not be placed in the selected gear.
Honda is announcing this recall to encourage all owners of affected vehicles to take their Element to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Notification to customers will begin on August 9, 2010.
When Honda identifies concerns of this nature, nothing is more important to the company than fulfilling our obligation and responsibility to alert our customers. To this end in addition to contacting customers by mail, after August 9, owners of these vehicles can determine if their vehicle requires repair by going on-line or calling Honda. Honda owners can go to www.recalls.honda.com or call (800) 999-1009, and select option 4.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got my letter yesterday in the mail. Guess mine is one of them for the shift cable fix. Will set up an appt. and get it in. Driving to Ohio in 2 weeks, so definately want this done before I leave!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Took my E in for the shift cable recall. Took them 30 minutes and it was done. Now I feel comfortable taking it on my trip to Ohio next week!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I went in for the virgin oil change Monday morning. I asked the service adviser if this TSB was released yet. I literally got the "Huh, what, haven't heard about that yet". I asked them to look it up, which they did, apparently mine is not one of the ones affected.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Honda OwnerLink

If you have your Element registered at Honda OwnerLink, it's a 1-click solution to check for recalls on your E. Mine said no recall.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you have your Element registered at Honda OwnerLink, it's a 1-click solution to check for recalls on your E. Mine said no recall.
Mine also said "no recall" on the HondaOwnerLink, but then I got a letter from Honda saying mine was on the recall list for this problem :? Go figure...got it taken care of anyways :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts